Chapter 17

Chapter 17

Ben P.O.V.

It's been six months about to be seven in four weeks since Afia has last spoken to me or even looked at me. When she said that she was done with me, she meant it. She had moved on from everything and I meant everything, she started dating someone, Ryan. The first time I found out was from Ryan himself, and I remembered being so pissed that we got into a fight and I ended up having to get ice for my fist because I lost control of my temper. We had been distant ever since then, he would go to the library to be with Afia and him and I rarely saw each other after that besides for track practice and the track meetings.

I ended what was going on between Muffy and I, I couldn't do it anymore I was not my brother I could not look him in his face every day and know that I was screwing his fiancé about to be wife in less than a month. I thought that it would feel good to know that I was hurting him in the way he had hurt me those two years ago,

"Hey man what are you thinking about?" Donte said sitting on the bench next to me grabbing a drink of water.

"Nothing." I lied and got another swig of water.

"You sure you been off all practice?" He said frowning.

"Nah man I am fine." I said and my eyes flicked towards Afia who was talking to Ryan.

"Is it about Afia?" He said following my stare.

"No, we should get back to the track." I said standing up and changing the subject.

Donte shrugged and followed me,

"Ben, are you ready." Coach Wallace, said as she held the timer ready to start it.

I got into position and waited for her call.

Everything else melted around me and there was just me, she yelled for me to start and I did forgetting about everything.

-----

Walking out of the locker room I saw Afia and Ryan in a heated discussion,

"Ryan what is your problem I came to your practice like you asked."

"No I saw you staring at him."

"Ryan what in the hell are you talking about?" She sighed.

"Don't try and play like I am stupid." He hissed.

I wanted to walk up to her and ask if she was ok, one thing about Ryan was that he was insecure and jealous that's why none of his past relationships had worked out.

Ryan eyes snapped towards mines and he sent me a glare and said, "What?"

I clenched my jaw and kept walking towards my car, I felt like shit for not saying anything, but what could I say. She said clear as day that she wanted nothing to do with me.

I pulled out of the parking lot and headed home, I was still pissed, I thought Ryan would have changed since his last relationship, I still remembered how poisonous the situation had gotten, she had ended up calling the police because he had beat her to a pulp, he ended up getting a slap on the wrist because of his father's connections. She had suffered from a black eye, broken nose, and a broken arm. When she had gotten back to school Ashley, Omar, and I were the only ones who were on her side while everyone else said what had she done to make him so mad and Ryan had made it worse when he kept spreading rumors that she had cheated on him the whole time and that's when everyone started calling her the school's whore, I remembered that night like it had just happened, she had called me and was sobbing her eyes out, she kept saying she could not do it anymore and that I was the only one on her side and then with that she hung up. The next day I went to school everyone was weirdly quiet until I saw Ashley sobbing at her locker and Omar was holding her to his chest, and everyone moved around them as if they did not exist. I walked up to them and Omar looked at me with a few tears going down his face, Ashley looked at me and she said, 'He killed my sister Ben, he killed her.' I then found out later that Luna Chelico, at the age of fifteen, committed suicide. The school didn't do anything they just swept it underneath the rug like they always did and no one talked about it and every one still loved Ryan. Ashley ended up forgiving Ryan, she says because she has a forgiving heart but I think because it was out of pure fear. No one showed up from school to attend Luna's funeral it was just me, Omar and her family.