Chapter Twelve

"Is there anyone else here?" I asked, peering into the darkness around us, after Adam had stopped with endless tormenting laughter I had finally made it up the steps, no more unnecessary injuries.

  I passed him, and slowly began walking down the corridor cautiously. Wrapping my arms around me for extra warmth, the house definitely had no heating.

  "Only the spirits..."

  I leapt out of my skin and released a shrill squeal as I felt his warm breath on the back of my neck, undeniably close. I resisted the urge to shiver and stepped far away from him, my gut clenching.

  I placed a hand on my beating chest, and tried to regulate my breathing. "Stop it," I half-heartedly demanded in a quiet voice.

  He chuckled, stepping around me.

He raised his eyebrows, "Why do you ask?" He commented, "Do you want us to be alone." He teased, yet a serious expression was lining his features. He retraced the steps I had taken to get away from him and was now unbearably close to me again.

"Tell me," he inquired, "why did you come here?" I could feel his hot breath fanning my forehead, "Because if you wanted to hook up, I'm easy, babe. Just ask."

"Although, a haunted house isn't really the best place, but I guess I could finally check that one off my bucket-list."

I was slapped back into reality and took two giant steps away from him, "Um, no." I stated, watching a sly smirk etch its way onto his face.

I suddenly regretted my decision to come here. I couldn't give him a straight answer to why I was here because I didn't know myself.

"I could ask you the same thing," I twisted the conversation around, "why are you here?"

His face fell slightly, if I was only a step further I wouldn't have caught it.

He crossed his arms over his chest, and blocked the doorway I was hoping to go in.

He didn't answer, but stared at me intensely.

"Okay, answer me this then." I began, clinging to my newfound confidence, "why are you always watching at me?"

Out of the blue, his deceiving smirk was plastered back onto his face, as he released a huff that sounded somewhat like a laugh.

Irritatingly, he answered my question with another one, "Who's that kid you're always with? The blonde one?"

  "A friend. Why?"

"You're close to him? Right?"

I narrowed my eyes, "Yes."

He nodded, looking at the ceiling, his lips pressed firmly together. His eyes found mine again, "Have you told him anything?" He questioned.

"No." I stated, monotonously. "Why would I come here if I did?"

  He shrugged. Somewhat agreeing with me for the first time.

  I sighed, and properly took everything in. Wandering about aimlessly, I traced my fingertips along the wall, dancing across the surprisingly clean wallpaper. Silence engulfed us, and for a moment I forgot he was even there. The world was still as I meandered through rooms, fully exploring what the secret house had hidden away.

  I stumbled across what seemed to be a garage, the door was soundless as I opened it and nothing could have prepared me for what the room had to offer.