Chapter Thirteen

"I swear to God, if one more little kid pushes me, some part of my brain will crack." Andrea stated as her eyes narrowed at the crowds kids that were spewed out in front of turned back to me, "Have I ever explained to you how much I despise children?" She commented, peering back at them with a distasteful grimace.

I chuckled, glancing around the park, massive patches of grass covered most of the space, a few trees were dotted here and there. However, the main attraction was most definitely the grand iron fountain, plonked in the middle of the park. It stood tall, around about two stories high, what used to be a glistening iron was now a brilliant orange, tainted with rust.

Sculptures of baby angels were cradling plates of water, almost glowing like a halo as the sun danced off the blazing orange peaks. Today, it was turned off and no water escaped from the angels' cups, deeming it the perfect parkour adventure as the children scaled the fountain or sprinted to get there.

Rob glanced at it also, "I really don't see the fascination." He stated, "It's just a fountain, its creepy if I'm being honest." His eyes fixated on the blazing baby angels.

"Don't tell me that when you were their age, you wouldn't be climbing it with them?" I questioned, challengingly.

He grinned, "I would so be at the top by now. Slowpokes."

Andrea and I laughed as we continued walking for a while longer before plodding down beside the fountain.

I reached into my backpack, grabbing out two sandwiches, before handing them to Andrea and Rob. Andrea stared at us in wonder, "Is this, like, a picnic?" She asked, staring at the sandwich in her hand.

Rob and I shared a look, before he answered, "In a way, I don't know when it started but we just always used to come here and eat lunch. It's become a tradition of sorts."

I nodded along, shrugging. I scratched the back of my neck as I suddenly became all too aware of the eyes peering at us in the distance.

My heart lurched, and I moved to the side to get a better look.

"You alright, Gabby?" I turned my head towards Rob but kept my eyes trained on the ones far away.

After a while, I still couldn't see anything, although I could feel Rob's worried stare pierce through me I decided to give up. I looked at Rob, "I thought I saw something." I clarified, then continued munching on my sandwich.

  He nodded sending me a worried glance.

  I sighed inaudibly, it had been about a week since I had seen Adam last, he wasn't even in school anymore, watching me. I could easily say I was relieved, and no doubt I was, however some part of me felt uneasy. I couldn't describe it.

  I threw a quick glance back over there, and watched apprehensively as two bulky men peered over their shoulders our way. They were both clad in gloomy black outfits, with tight-fitted leather jackets, on the back displaying an unusual sign. I furrowed my brows.

  I could've sworn I'd seen them from somewhere.

  I shook my head and concentrated back on the conversation Andrea and Rob were in.

  "No way! Iron-Man would annihilate Captain America." Rob gushed, throwing his hands toward the sky.

  "Uh, shut up, Captain America is basically immortal." Andrea narrowed her eyes back at Rob.

  I chose not to get involved, and simply watched them argue with a small smile on my face.

  Still, I couldn't shake the feeling something was definitely off about the two men.

  Especially when they both turned and pointed at me.

OKAY ITS A REALLY SHORT CHAPTER BUT I'LL MAKE IT UP WITH THE NEXT ONE I PROMISE 😉