Chapter Twenty-Eight

Remember to send in some book covers guys!  - bishwhatdidyousay@hotmail.com-

 -

{UNEDITED}

  I turned back, grabbing his phone again, it felt awkwardly wrong for me to be snooping, but with a password of 1-2-3-4-5-6, Adam was kind of asking for it. I pressed onto the phone app, and the most recent number he had called was me.

I was taken back, I hadn't checked my phone in days. Scrolling past my name, I saw he had called Mrs. Turner a number of times, along with other names, some I recognised and many more I didn't.

After a while of not finding anything, I grabbed my keys and jacket, making sure Rob was far down the road and made my way over the the abandoned house. I could still see a small flicker of light in one of the windows, only making my heart beat harder in my chest.

I pushed the door open, "Adam?" I called, closing it behind me. There wasn't an answer.

I climbed further up the stairs. I looked in every corner before turning on the torch on my phone. I missed the step that was broken.

"Adam?" I repeated.

Suddenly, a smell hit my nose. It was foreign and made me want to sneeze, it smelled almost fruity? Or of flowers?

I shook it off, wandering further down the hallway. A soft glow began to appear under one of the doors. It was Adam's hideaway.

Pushing it open, cautiously, I discovered candles were lit in the corners of the room. "Adam?" My voice was softer than before, and I closed the door behind me.

"Not Adam."

I swung around, my heart lurching into my chest. I stumbled, the man had a deep and dark voice, which sounded only inches away from my ear. I couldn't see much of his face, but his bulky silhouette and his voice were the only factors I needed to know this man scared the shit out of me.

"So where is he." He demands, a deep chilling tone to his relaxed voice sent shivers of pure fear down my spine, I wanted my mouth to spout yet another lie and tell him I didn't know who Adam was, but I had already ruined it.

His whole aura screamed danger, and I was suffocating. His smell was musky and powerful, there wasn't an inch of weakness dangling from his form. The way he stalked towards me, left me wanting to crawl into a ball and play dead. He stepped with confidence, a straight posture, and an intimidation that would make the bravest of the brave want to back down.

"I don't know." I stuttered, backing away quickly. I was trapped, albeit, it was only him; I felt completely vulnerable.

My hands began shaking as he stepped towards me, a sinister light from the candle flickered to his face and I was taken back.

He was around a foot and a half taller than me, but that wasn't too difficult, he was clad in a pristine black suit as though formally dressed for a funeral. But the suit wasn't what caught me off guard as much as it was his angelically handsome face.

I didn't know what I was expecting really, maybe a long, jagged scar? A glass eye? Curled snarl? A snout? But none of that was there.

I was taken back by his rugged handsomeness, yet all the while absolutely quaking from our situation. He raised an eyebrow, and I watched as jaw clenched. His eyes burned through mine, with a heated anger.

"I won't play you're little, childish game so you tell Adam," He moved impossibly closer, "that Everett Romano is waiting for him."

I gulped, afraid that if I made any sudden movements I would be killed. Suddenly, he roughly grabbed my shaking hand in his and placed a small object in it. It was cold to the touch, I wanted to drop it immediately.

When I looked back up, the man was gone and most of the candles' flames were out.

And in my hand there was a bullet.

The world plummeted down my throat as I collapsed to the floor. Everything spins for a moment, as sobs begin to splutter up my throat. I claw at my chest and pull my knees to my heart. I needed to call someone. Anyone.

I swallowed, losing my voice along the way, I pulled out my phone. Hardly holding it with my trembling hands, and searched for the person I needed.

But then I realised I already had his phone.

My sobs began to quake through my body, I wanted to throw the bullet out from my grasp never to see it again. But somehow I couldn't let it go. My nails dug so deep into my palms I was sure I drew blood. My breathing was erratic and uncontrollable, I was completely helpless.

I clicked on the name I knew, and prayed Adam was with him.

"Hello?" Jimmy's voice sounded like an angel to my ears, I wanted to reply, I had the words ready to spill out of my mouth but all I could manage were sobs. "Hello? Who is this-- uh, Gabby?" I tried to say yes but all I spluttered were some more incoherent sobs.

His voice suddenly became very concerned, "Gabrielle? Are you okay?"

I shook my head, dying for any word to be spewed out of my mouth but nothing happened, only more unintelligible cries, pleas for help through my endless tears.

It had all come crashing down, everything. All the pent up stress and helpless anger from everything came tumbling out of me in flourishes of tears.

"Adam!" I heard him yell through the other line and not a moment later I heard his voice.

There was a shuffling noise before it happened, "Gabby? Are you hurt?" He sounded loud and concerned, as my cries lifted on.

I couldn't breath.

I kept shaking my head, trying to tell him that I was alright as a wave of regret flowed through me, I was making a big deal. But I didn't know how to stop this endless panic. I couldn't get a single word past

"Where are you?" He demanded, and I heard Jimmy ask what was going on, I managed to tell him a few words, but my heart rate wouldn't stop beating out of my mouth.

I couldn't stop crying.

"I'm on my way."

I heard Jimmy's voice quietly shout, it was obvious he was far away. "Adam! Calm down!"

"Fuck off!" I heard him shout back, I heard an engine start up in the distance of the other line.

-

 -   bishwhatdidyousay@hotmail.com   -

  Have a lovely day! Or night!