Chapter Forty-One

{UNEDITED}

-

It was a morning I would never forget. As soon as my eyes opened, I knew it would be one of the worst days of my life.

I knew I would regret the moment I stepped outside the house, but it had to be done. It was inevitable, it wasn't a day I could willingly miss.

It was a bitterly, cold morning. A layer of frost sprinkled onto the grass outside and on the roof of the abandoned house, slowly melting as the sun gradually rose.

I wore black. Even if it wasn't a funeral, it felt so much more than that, if even possible. It felt as though I was losing a part of my life, my family, it felt like I was losing my home. I would never be able to see the frost on the stained glass windows, of have to yell for my father to buy a heater when I knew he wouldn't.

He said the church got it's warmth from the hearts of the people that came. The people that stayed.

All those people were at the church when we arrived. Unlike me they were dressed in their usual formal attire, ready for a church ceremony that would never happen.

"It shouldn't be a sad day, kiddo." My father turned to me, walking up the steps to the church gates. He was wearing his vicar uniform, back like my outfit. "One door closes and two more open. Remember that, Gabrielle, it's not over."

I smiled softly at him, "I know," I sniffled into the sleeve of Adam's leather jacket. I still kept it. It had been weeks since I'd heard from Jimmy or Theresa and my pure fear of meeting Adam's parents had kept me from visiting.

Add coward onto worst-girlfriend/two-people-who-have-kissed-sort-of-/psycho-maniac-that-beat-up-her-ex-friend, and you've got me.

"Look at everyone." He gasped quietly, I knew it had got him teary, practically the whole town had shown up, all dressed in their best clothes, holding all sorts of foods, I even saw Rob's entire family. Rob warned me they would show up. I just always forget how massive his family was.

The church doors were already open, they had been left unlocked since the moment the word got out about it's demolition. My father had been spending day and night there, so there was no need to lock the doors.

We came to the front of the steel black, gates, teeming with rust as they curved into a swirling design. The crowd of people greeted us with solemn looks, but kind words.

I couldn't say the same for me, though, there looks were hesitant with me, as though I had corrupted the church.

News of the fight, well more so of Andrea's unforgettable torment at the hands of me, got out quite quickly. We were a small town, so rumours and news spread like wild fire, burning pleasantly through people's ears, spreading doubt.

I had become the new Adam Valentino, in words of rumours and a lot of people hating me. Or just misunderstanding me.

My father found out as well, not t say he hasn't forgiven me-- by all means he has-- being the most forgiving person I'd ever known, more forgiving especially when I told him what had happened.

It was partially my fault, surely if I didn't let my anger have the better of me, we could've found a way to stop the demolition, saying they spied to gain evidence, and better their case against us. And that was my fault. It was something I had to accept and never do again.

I'd never been a violent person before, not in my entire life. I hated hurting people, or animals, or even flies. I'd changed.

I looked over to him, as he pulled out a photograph, "It was the day your mother and I opened up the church. She was so happy that day. I'm sure if she were here she would be eager for us to move on. Try new things, start fresh again." He pushed the photo into my hands.

He always told me she looked like me. I'd noticed it before, there were subtle differences, she was much taller that I am.

"Patricia!" He called, beckoning Patty over to us. She held a camera in her hands, with tears n her eyes.

Of course Patty would be out of a job as well.

My heart ached, "Oh darling, you look so beautiful today." She commented, looking at my little black dress.

"Thanks, Patty."

"Come, take a photo of us. Just by the doors here--Yeah, there you go."

He placed an arm around my shoulder, mimicking the same pose of Mum's photo. I smiled, as brightly as I could thinking only of her.

The camera snapped a shot, flashing a white light before suddenly we were pummelled with the arms of people, intertwining themselves around us, there was giggling and laughter, some kid screamed, but another photo was taken. Patty was smiling brighter than before, and I looked up to my father to see him smiling back down at me.

He was right. It wasn't the end of the church, it was the start of something much bigger.