Chapter Forty-Three

{UNEDITED}

-

"Wait!" He called after me, a string of curses following after him. "Gabby! Ah shit," I heard him stumble, and paused down the hallway.

"Mr. Valentino. Miss Marshal, get back in this classro--"

"Just fuck off!" Adam yelled as he stumbled out of the classroom, slamming the door behind him. I noticed he didn't have his cane, and the tears began all over again.

I slid down the lockers, curling my knees up. I wanted nothing more than to say something, anything that would make the situation better, Adam feel better, be better, or healthy.

He stood at one end of the corridor, unknowingly looking directly past me. "Gabby, you've got it all wrong!" He called, stepping a few paces, he was a few meters away from me.

I still couldn't bring myself to speak.

"Marco..."

I stifled a laugh, it was unexpected, I couldn't have even imagined Adam doing anything like that before, "Polo..." I responded, sniffling quietly to myself.

He had heard me, his head snapped to my direction, and I pulled myself off the ground, standing up. He took careful steps towards me. "Sunshine, you've got it all wrong, let me explain."

"Did you stop me from visiting you?" I cried, surprising myself.

He didn't speak for a moment, "I didn't want you to see me like this." I heard him swallow. I inspected his face, he didn't look any different, despite being away for a month, me not seeing him for a month. I tried not to be angry. "I didn't want you to worry."

"Worry? How can I not worry!" I began, "You vanished off the face of the Earth, no one would let me see you! Jimmy and Theresa wouldn't answer my calls, and no one would tell me how you were, I thought you hadn't even woke up! You never spoke to me, no one spoke to me! It was like--"

I was suddenly crushed with the force of his arms, circling around me. I didn't refuse the hug, I didn't refuse him, I don't think I ever could.

"You told me you would stop pushing me away, you told me you wouldn't anymore. I care so much Adam. I'm so sorry this has happened, I'm so sorry."

"That's where you're wrong, Gabby."

"What?" I pulled out of the hug, looking up at his face, he didn't let me out of his arms.

He sighed, "The surgery was a success, partial blindness will fade, I'm just gonna be out of it for a few months."

I cried again, burying my face into his chest, gripping his shirt harder than ever before. The amount of relief was indescribable.

"I couldn't let you see me, after the surgery, I was completely blind, fuck, Sunshine, I was not myself, I couldn't let you see me like that. But then there were outlines of people, shapes formed. I wanted to let you see me, I wanted you to be the first person I saw. But the doctors wouldn't allow it, nor would my parents, all about keeping a stress-free environment. I will get better, Sunshine, I just need these glasses for a few more months, and I'll be good as new."

"No tumour?"

He smiled at me, a brilliant, dazzling smile, "No tumour."

I laughed, throwing my head back and sighed a massive breath of relief.

"You mean so much to me, Adam. Don't ever do that to me again."

He laughed too, now, "I won't. I promise." He grabbed my face, carefully, as I pressed my lips to his. Wrapping my arms around his torso tightly, I stood on my tiptoes, as he pulled our bodies closer. Urgency began in the kiss, before he pulled away.

I caught my breath.

"I've been hearing that you've become some sort of a badass since I've been gone? What's that about then?" He whispered, delightfully in my ear. Slinging an arm over my shoulder as we walked past the classroom and out of the school.

"I have so much to tell you." I laughed.

THE END

-

{A/N}

Oh my goodness, what a ride it's been. Don't worry! A special epilogue will be out, probably with this update.

I can't even remember when I started this book, it's been so long. It started as just a quick idea that passed through my head, and it's now such a personal success. I know it's not the best story in the world, and it need so much improvement, but I can't help but feel so proud of it.

Thank you for everything and all the kind messages, I cant help but feel so amazing, you guys have kept me going this whole time, so thank you.