Chapter Thirty

AN:

Okay guys, just a warning that during this whole chapter, I had incredible writers block I mean that shit is strong and powerful and this chapter may not be as good as my other ones. Just a fair warning. So be prepared.

{UNEDITED}

Slowly, my eyes fluttered open I was initially blinded by the bright lights inside the room bursting through the gaps of the closed curtains. I had to squint to stop the dull ache in the back of my eyes. I was in a bed. I could tell by the silky, soft black sheets that it was an expensive bed, more so being that it was twice the size of mine, with four tall bed posts framing each corner.

Restricting one side of the bed, Bailey was laid out almost reaching the bottom of the bed. She was snoring lightly, with all four limbs stretching to her full capacity and her brown eyes shut, tightly. Moments later she snuggled deeper into the depths of comfort, releasing a boisterous snore that quaked through her entire body.

Looking over the room I spotted Adam, he was lounging in a chair next to the bed. With his head dangling on his chest, not moving an inch.

I moved closer only then noticing how his eyes were closed. He slept peacefully, all stress lines, grimaces and even traces of smiles were erased from his face. The corners of his lips were tilted down and parted slightly. Under his eyes laid striking shadows of his lengthy eyelashes.

Feeling a breeze on my legs, I glanced down. Shocked at the lack of my own clothing, my jeans were replaced with boxers, and my blouse replaced with an oversized jumper that definitely didn't smell feminine.

I scrambled out of the bed, praying that it wasn't him who had changed me but seeing no other viable option. I was careful not to wake the dog yet somehow I still ended up falling flat on my face.

"Oh, you're awake." Adam clarified, shuffling in his chair. He cleared his throat but the husky resonance laced within his voice never left. I lifted my head up over the side of the bed. Millions of questions overwhelming every corner of my mind.

"Did you change me?" I asked.

His brown eyes slowly racked over my figure, making me want to crawl into a ball and die. Right there on his floor.

He shook his head, rubbing at his eyes tiredly. "Theresa changed you."

I went to ask who she was before Adam interrupted me, knowingly. "She's our housekeeper, Jimmy's wife."

I nodded along, pushing away the need to yawn. A strike of panic hit my core as I noticed the dramatically changed sky. "How long have I been asleep? What time is it?" I raced towards the chair next to Adam's and shuffled through my clothes, trying to find my phone.

I almost pulled out Adam's by mistake, but quickly shoved it underneath the jeans.

Adam glanced away, twisting around the alarm clock on his bedside table. He flicked it, "It's six in the morning."

"I was here all night!" I shouted, past the stage of anxiousness and into a full blown panic. I grabbed my phone, and almost screamed when it couldn't turn on.

Adam was next to me in an instant, taking my phone away from my grasp. "It's probably out of charge." He whispered, moving away from me and grabbed a white lead, plugging it in.

It was silent for a moment, his back was facing me, his hands by his side. "What's gonna happen to us, Adam?"

"Nothing's gonna happen." He began, turning towards me slightly. "Don't worry-"

I scoffed, "How can I not worry?" I sat on the edge of the bed and dug my fingers into the golden fur of Bailey, "He's threatened you, he stabbed someone-"

"I can handle myself, Sunshine."

I groaned, "He's dangerous! Adam! Like stabbing someone kind of dangerous!"

He faced me full on, "And you don't think I'm dangerous? We were in the same place, Gabrielle. A place to keep dangerous people!" He threw his hands in the air, "What? Just because you think you know me, it automatically makes me a good person? I'm not a good person!"

"I don't believe that-"

"Then ask me why I was in there. Ask me why I got involved with a dangerous person like Everett Romano in the first place!" He shouted, his face flushed red as his scowl deepened. "Just because you think you know me, doesn't make me a good person."

I glared at him, "Adam, no. Just stop--"

"Ask me."

"Stop it! Adam I don't want to know!" I countered, standing up off of the bed.

He blocked my way, "You don't want to hear it because the truth could change that picture perfect image of me you've created. It's selfish, really."

"I know you're a good person."

"I was in there f--"

I covered my hands over my ears, childishly. If I didn't want to hear something. I wasn't going to freaking hear it.

He glared at me, effectively pulling my hands away from my ears and strapping them to my sides with his.

"Manslaughter." He whispered before I could run away.

The same bitter taste entered my mouth as my eyes widened. He turned away from me again.

I shook my head, wanting to pretend I didn't hear it, but the word kept ringing in my mind. It couldn't be what it seemed, I opened my mouth to speak, yet I didn't know what to say.

Manslaughter.

"How?" I managed, knowing that it couldn't be as awful as it sounded. But somewhere deep down, a voice was telling me that everything he had said was true, that he was just as dangerous as Romano and instantly that inkling of fear began to sink in once more.

Not a second later it had hit me full force thinking to myself, how much did I really know about Adam? I knew that he had been to Juvie. Warning sign. I knew that he broke Jayden's face permanently. Warning sign. I knew that he fought illegally in an Underground betting ring. Warning sign. Everything in my entire body was screaming at me to run the warning signs were flashing bright and red. Move to Mexico, live in a trailer park and change my name. Run.

But my feet couldn't move.

As much as my mind tried to convince my feet to run, to sprint back home and pack all my belongings. I still wouldn't move.

Subconsciously, in my heart, I knew I needed to hear him out. I needed to know the truth. I needed to know that the Adam I knew wasn't just the image that I had painted, or my imagination.

I knew he wasn't the bad guy.

-

WOAH! Am I right guys that was one hell of an ending to the chapter.

So what do you think Adam did?

And what do you think about Everett Romano?

What do you think is gonna happen to them? Are they in danger?

Is Adam a bad guy?

I WILL SEE YOU ALL NEXT FRIDAY! HAVE A GREAT WEEK X