Chapter Forty-Two

{UNEDITED}

-

The walk to school was different this time around, something in the air, something in the atmosphere. It could've been the feeling of Monday morning blues, more prominent blues since it was the first time in forever since the church didn't do a service on Sunday.

But something in the air was different. The walk to school-- from the bus stop, I'm not suicidal--was a refreshing, brisk air whirling the leaves into a formation of disarray as I passed them.

Rob's car had to be put in the shop, he spoke to me about it in terms of mechanic, which was absolute gibberish, but all I knew is I'd have to either find another ride, or take the bus.

I chose the latter. I passed the place of new construction, the only remnants of the church was in shambles, quite literally, in the corner of the construction site. There was a plethora of builders, all in Hi-Vis jackets, helmets on their heads. They had come from out of town, probably thinking I was a complete nutter for rerouting my journey so I could come by everyday.

Probably thought I was gawking at them. Which I certainly wasn't.

It had been about a month since I had seen Adam, even if last time I saw him was in a hospital bed.

The day after the demolition began, I went to his hospital room.

It was completely empty, when I asked the nurses about it they said it had been upgraded, and that only immediate family members could visit. That was the end of my courageousness, I was at a dead end. Not to mention, Jimmy and Theresa dodging my calls at any chance they could.

Not a word.

My heart strings tug as I look at the iron framing, the colossal crane lifting stacks of metal. I sighed to myself, half-heatedly. And continued the short journey.

As soon as I stepped foot inside school I knew something was different.

"Did you hear-"

"I can't believe it-"

"It's horrible, how can someone live like that."

I glanced up, my eyebrows knotting together as whispers swirled around me. Curious glances were thrown here and there as I scanned through the crowd, attempting to find Rob bobbing along all the jostling groups of people.

I clenched my jaw as some glances were thrown my way, flaring a spark of anger through their demeaning stares. It hadn't always been this way, I had never let the stares affect me so much, but things had changed. Mostly ever since the fight with Andrea, the stares, mainly glares were from her new 'buddies'.

But this was different, all eyes were on me, not all at the same time, but flickering glances thrown my way.

Sighing in relief, my eyes connected to the familiar tall, blonde mop of hair scuttling through the mass of people in the hallway. Without further hesitation, I manoeuvred through the crowd, my stare unwavering even against the current of scuttling people, I couldn't lose him.

  "Rob!" I called, feeling the undeniable pressure of intimidation rising in my chest as the crowd surrounded me.

I jumped uselessly and waved a hand in the air, unconsciously peeking my ears to the clamour of stage-whispering voices. They could've been quieter, but I knew that they all wanted me to hear.

  "-I wonder if she knows-"

  "I hope he's alright-"

  "What even happened-"

It was the lesson before lunch time when it all went wrong.

Half way through the class, the door slammed open, the sound of shuffling had my head snapping up.

My eyes widened uncontrollably and I felt sick to my stomach. Gasps were spluttered around me, undoubtedly it was completely abnormal for him to even turn up to a lesson. But it was his state that truly shocked everyone.

He struggled to hold the door open, his hands thrashing out towards it somewhat frantically. His lips were pulled into a grimace.

He didn't look any different.

But then I really saw him.

I looked towards his face. And was instantly punched in the gut with horror. All the blood rushed from my face; I couldn't feel anything below my trembling knees.

I swallowed, staring at the harsh, blacked-out glasses that were perched on his nose.

Blinking rapidly, I prayed that no one noticed the tears gathering in my eyes as I spotted the cane he grasped onto in his dominant hand.

"What happened to him?"

"Why is he back-"

His jaw locked. No doubt hearing all the rumours spread already, I wanted to scream at them, to make them stop talking.

"Is that really Adam?"

I peered at him as his faced morphed from one of frustration into his old charming smirk.

"Sorry I'm late," he began, his deep voice unchanged. "I had some trouble." He held the cane up slightly. I shut my eyes, blinking away foreign moisture; wishing for this all to be some horrible dream.

With my eyes still glued shut, I heard his cane whip against the floor repeatedly, the continuous tapping creating an air of tension.

And then it stopped altogether.

He bent down, lips moving rapidly in the ear of the girl two rows in front of me. The teacher was stunned to silence, as were we all. Although I'm sure out of everyone my heart was beating the fastest.

She nodded, he spoke too quietly for anyone else to hear. I was watching the scene take place intently, I couldn't help but feel a stab of jealousy, when he dazzled her with his killer smile when she began speaking to him.

It frustrated me more that I couldn't hear a word of it.

He straightened himself up, the tapping of his cane started up again, I kept my face buried in my hands, wishing for this all to be some horrid dream, but I couldn't get his beautiful face out of my mind, his face with those terrible black glasses made me want nothing more than to break my facade of calm composure and start bawling my eyes out.

I heard a shuffle next to me, before the tapping stopped again, and a quick slide of noise, books being set down and then his voice. Seemingly closer than he ever was before.

"You can start the lesson. You know."

He was next to me.

I didn't say a word, I didn't know what kept me from speaking, perhaps it was the timing of his arrival, the fact that the lesson was nearly ending, and I couldn't speak, it would be polite to stay quiet, out of respect for the teacher. But I knew more than anything the real reason was because of the everlasting lump in my throat, the one I couldn't move since I saw him lying in the hospital bed.

The room closed in on itself, spinning furiously.

I grabbed my stuff, I couldn't stay next to him for a second longer without making an absolute fool of myself in front of the entire classroom. I bolted out of the room.