Chapter Twenty-Two

{Unedited}

  I sighed inwardly.

"Well haven't you grown, dear! It feels like yesterday that I could still see you running with that Barbra doll--"

  "Patty, don't be ridiculous, they don't call them Barbara dolls, it's Barbie Dolls," Sharron turned to me, "isn't that right, dear?"

  I nodded half-heartedly, as the old ladies chortled.

  I was surrounded, inescapably surrounded. Don't get me wrong, I couldn't have been happier that they chose to help us, it was extremely kind to go out of their way like that, and I knew my father appreciated it.

  I just couldn't go another second chatting aimlessly about my ageing.

  It had been a whole morning of cheek-pinching, bingo-wing-wobbling, and over excessive chatter about my personal life, slowly but surely draining me of all of my humanity. They had come to bring over some chocolate and homemade cookies, to welcome more people in to the church.

  "So I'll just set them down over here," I began, pointing to a table across the other side of the church.

  "Don't be silly, dear, they were made so people could have one when they came in, set them down next to you." Patty ordered, with the smile of an angel. I didn't want to be rude or disappoint her, so without another word, I placed them next to me. Inwardly cringing at the never-ending labyrinth of pain and torture I had chained myself with.

  Maybe I was over exaggerating.

  I smiled at Patty and Sharron waiting on their next round of questions.

"So, Gabrielle, how's school going? Are you studying?"

I went to answer their question, but another voice interrupted me before I could even open my mouth, "Actually, Mrs. Peterson, Mrs. Martin, Gabrielle promised to study with me today and it seems to already be getting quite late, and with our exams next week, she should really be studying."

My head snapped over to the recognised voice, and I could've jumped with joy. It had been days since I last spoke to him, or even saw him around, he had been avoiding me at school, ignoring me in lessons. It was a relief to see him back to normal.

Even for a few sentences.

"Rob's right," I clarified, turning towards him, "I completely forgot, I was such a fool to forget our study session, I know it must have really upset you. Me forgetting. But I truly think we can get past it, and get back to how things were before." I glanced at Patty and Sharron, "Before I made the stupid mistake of forgetting."

Rob sighed, "Its okay, it hurt me a lot, but we can always try to set a time we will remember, you know, things slip past us, all the time, and we should both try harder to remember. And be there for each other, during those study sessions."

"I wish I could take it all back, and tell you how sorry I am, for forgetting, and try to treat you like the friend you deserve to be treated as. I know you've always helped me study, and it was so stupid of me to forget. I'm sorry again, Rob."

"It's okay, we have all day to study now."

"Thank you."

I nodded politely to Patty and Sharron, as I linked arms with Rob as he quickly guided us away from the two confused old ladies.