i || PROLOGUE

[EDITED]

THE smell of chocolate welcomes me onto the bus that Emily and I are trotting to. It's an unusual thing my nostrils are acting up this bad, and I knew that if I was sniffing and receiving a chocolate scent on a somewhat sanitary bus, something was off.

Why couldn't have we just taken Emily's car?

My mind drifts off to many unanswered questions as my ears started to plug into the bickering of my older sister—which I am very disinterested in.

Emily is the most important person to me in this world of billions, but for an academic kid with book-smarts, she surely is blind to common sense. Because being the person she is, she wouldn't want to be on the bus right now, but she is, leaping into the arms of her boyfriend, Mike. I can hear their conversation.

"Hey, Babe," Mike's deeper voice bounces off the walls of the empty shuttle, "I thought you didn't want to take the bus. I thought I was driving or something like that."

"It's fine, Mike," She spoke, "We have a little more room here. And I like being comfortable."

My sister's reply was quick and well thought. To me, I knew that her persuasive words weren't as convincing this time around, so I rolled my eyes and continued to glance over in the direction of my sister and Mike in a daze.

The class president was intelligent enough to be considered an average student, but the way he was looking at my sister's chest hinted a clue that with girls, he was above average in knowledge. He seemed more interested looking at her chest then lookin directly in her eyes.

My eyes finally leeched off of the couple when a jolt rushed me forward, nearly banging my seat onto the blue cushion seat in front of me.
I cursed under my breath, and adjusted my drawstring bag that rested on my spine to where it was lying next to me in a normal looking position.

My fingers scrambled desperately to find the small headphones for my phone and the task was later completed. I plugged the headphone wire into the Apple device, and I found myself listening to American Honey by Lady Antebellum.

Personally, it wasn't my favorite country song, but it was good enough to keep me from blocking out the reality I live in. Yet alone, I am not a die-hard fan of country music. Country has that modern twang to it, and the accent is what makes that genre so dang catchy. The secret reason why I love country has been simply revealed.

Or maybe, it's simply because Sam listens to classical and country. She might've gotten me into this type of music. Not Texan country, but this modern type of country.

The next song was Kelly Clarkson's Break Away. This is my karaoke song, my go-to shower song, and my song. This type of pop was what Emily and I were growing up with, and it's never left my heart. I could listen to Break Away and never get tired of it. It's a relatable piece of music, and I know Clarkson has the pipes to work it.

She's no Beyoncé, but she is definitely close to Adele, and the new singer Sia. Her song Chandelier is an absolute hit on the music charts right now. . . So could that mean she's breaking the music industry internet?

I shake my head and shrug it off. I look to my right and see that the sun has hid behind the horizon and at the same time the moon climbs into the starry night. It glimmers with each blink I take, and I find peace within staring at the sky. All of the little white dots are brightening with each millisecond, the night beginning not to seem so dark and dim.