xviii || IMPORTANT DISCOVERY

[EDITED]

JOSH was in full-blown tears after we left Chris, forever appreciating his selfless sacrifice to save all of us. We all were upset, and Chris sacrificing himself for us to be with Ashley is unfortunate. I'm just grateful that Chris and Ashley's second chance is up above. At least they are reunited; together again.

All of us started walking in the same direction. We came across a rock wall, just like the one where Sam, Em, and I had to climb, but there was a light. All of us were arguing whether to split up or not because what has occurred tonight, but it needed to be done. Jess is in terrible condition. She needs rest and medical assistance.

"I'm taking Jess up to the lodge," Mike spoke.

Matt and my sister agreed to go with them, so it left Sam, Josh, and I here in the mines.
I watched Jess as she climbed that wall. I don't even know how she did it. But damn, that kid was a fighter. Mike, Emily, and Matt followed, all climbing up the wall. Sam shrugged, and she told us to keep walking. Josh and I held hands, because it was obvious by now we were in love. Sam wasn't bothered by it, I could tell.

That nature-loving, adventure-daring, rock climbing nerd was an independent woman. Ain't nobody going to hook up with her.

The mines began to smell a bit better than it was. I heard the swish of something, but I couldn't put my finger on it until we were standing there in front of it. It was water. Unbeknownst to its temperature, we all jumped in.

"Oh my God, it's freezing! I can't feel my fingers," Sam pointed out, trying to forget the shock of the chilly water.

"At last you're fortunate enough to have all ten, cough cough, Mike," I mumbled.

"Famous last words, Sam," Josh giggled.

We all slowly waved through the water, coming across a small space. Once all of us got out of the water, we had to take a moment to unfreeze ourselves from the cold water.

I spotted a journal, which camouflaged well into the dirt on the ground. I opened it up, but not without dust appearing everywhere. I had a coughing fit, fanning my hands to clear the air. Once I did, I read the journal.

Day 1

My little sister is dead. The fall killed her... I watched the color drain from her face. My leg is broken. I'm all alone, stuck here with Beth's body. Someone will come soon.

So Hannah was trapped down here. We were looking for her then, still.

Day 5

I've never been so HUNGRY. It feels like my stomach is twisting around inside. I took Beth's sweater. Much warmer now. She's still looking out for me.

Day 30

I'm sorry Beth. I have no choice. I'm DYING. It's the only way I can survive any more. If someone finds this I'm SORRY. I had to. I had no choice. Forgive me Beth. I'm sorry.

What choice? Forgive me? What did Hannah have to do? Wait... Did she eat Beth?

Day 33