Chapter 6

A/n: Hi everyone! Here's another update for you. Don't forget to comment and vote. Happy reading!

"You do realize that it's very obvious that you're staring daggers at her." Emma spoke quite suddenly, startling me and causing me to bang my elbow against the chair. I rubbed my elbow sheepishly, grimacing at the pain.

Emma was referring to the fact that for the last ten minutes I had been staring at Nicoletta and Scorpius, from where I was seated in the common room. I tried to concentrate on the potions essay on my lap but I couldn't stop obsessing over Nicoletta. There was just something about her that wasn't quite right.

I narrowed my eyes in Nicoletta's direction.
"There's something off about her."

Emma rolled her eyes, sighing as she did so.

"She seems really nice." Alice said in her usual no-nonsense voice.

"She's hiding something. No one is ever that nice."

"Rosie, I really doubt she's hiding something."  Alice said, looking towards Nicoletta.

"Really, it's just the jealousy talking." Emma muttered, as she rummaged through the 'Bernie Bots Every Flavor Beans' box looking for a jelly bean that might taste good.

"It's not jealousy." I squinted my eyes at Nicoletta, who had thrown her head back as she laughed at something Scorpius had said. I watched as she flipped her black, pin-straight hair, the kind of hair I had always dreamed of having, behind her shoulder as she whispered something in his ear. He smiled, his grey eyes crinkling as he did so.

As I watched them interact, my hands wound tighter and tighter around my quill, until it broke in half with a loud, and resonating snap. Noise ceased in the common room and all eyes flew to me. My face turned a startling shade of red, but I rapidly huffed my way to the the stairs, avoiding all the looks I was getting.

When I reached the top of the stairs, I heard Emma say sarcastically, "Oh yeah, that's definitely not jealousy."

***
"I can't believe this. Why would he do that?" Emma shrieked, as we walked out of the D.A.D.A classroom.

The topic in question happened to be our D.A.D.A professor, professor Taylor. It was only the second week, and already we had a test the next day.

"Because he is a teacher which gives him the right to?" I offered, unhelpfully.

Emma groaned, shaking her head. "He has no consideration for his students. Doesn't he realize I have plans tonight?"

"Oh yeah, like what?" 

"Like going to the kitchens to get treacle tart, or maybe I wanted to sleep. I don't know. But point is I had plans, which now must go unfulfilled." Emma shrieked, her voice getting higher pitched and more vexatious the more she continued talking.

"To be fair, it really isn't that much." Alice chimed in, lifting her head up from the D.A.D.A textbook she seemed so invested in. "It's just simply defensive spells, that we learned back in third year."

"Ugh, that doesn't mean I have to be happy about it." Emma groaned yet again.

                               ***

"Time's up." Professor Taylor said, clapping his hands together for an added effect.

The class was taking a D.A.D.A test, and no one was anywhere near done. The supposedly easy test we had to take  had turned into the hardest test I had ever taken. Not even Alice, who is perhaps the most studious person I know, had finished her test.

Alice turned to me and shot me a panicked look as she glanced at her paper that had two questions still unanswered.
Others in the class were furiously writing despite the announcement that the test was over, me being one those people.

"Ok, everybody. Quills down. Time's up." Professor Taylor said, making sure that this time everyone heard. He called out the names of those who were still writing, making them stop.

He made everyone hand the papers in and the whole class slowly got up and trudged to the front. That is, except for Emma. Emma flounced to the professor and placed her test right in his hands. She even sent him a sly wink that I'm sure he, and everyone in the class caught.

For Emma, the novelty of Professor Taylor hadn't worn off, but that was no longer true for the majority of the girls (and some guys) in the school. After the first couple of days, I realized I no longer fancied the professor, in fact he was getting on my nerves. I mean sure he was good looking, but after the big piles of homework he assigned daily, that sort of thing fades away. And it seemed like for most of the class, that rang true. At least it was true for everyone except Emma who still seemed enamored with him, despite it all.

I shared a look with Scorpius, agreeing that it was both disturbing and amusing to see Emma bend over backwards for the Professor.

I picked up my books and headed to the front of the classroom to hand in my test, Scorpius trailing behind me. I put my test on the pile on the professor's desk and headed towards the door.

"If you don't mind, Ms.Weasley, I need to have a word with you." Professor Taylor said, organizing the pile of tests.

Scorpius shot me a look of confusion. I shrugged, my way of telling him that I had no idea why the professor would want to talk to me.

I turned to the professor and walked back to his desk.
"Of course, sir."

I waved apprehensively at Scorpius, his face still clouded in confusion. After all, it was barely the second week of school, hardly enough time to already be in trouble with a teacher.

"So," I said, standing awkwardly in front of the desk where he was seated. "What seems to be the problem, sir?"

He looked up at me, his blue eyes scrutinizing my face.
"Well, you see, Ms. Weasley, I am perfectly aware of your......background, and I realize that you are probably used to having things handed to you because of who your parents are."

He stopped, taking a break to think of his next point. I wanted to interrupt him and tell him that that was not the case but I had to admit I was curious about what he had to say.

"I want to inform you," he continued, barely missing a beat. "that that will not be happening in this class."

"But, sir—" I tried to interrupt telling him I wasn't used to a special treatment, but I found it hard to do so as he ignored my attempts to speak.

"Now, now, Ms.Weasley, I realize it may be harder for you, but you'll just have to find a way to deal with it. And I will not tolerate any student who does not adhere to the rules. Is that clear?"

His voice had lost the warmth, that was usually present when he spoke to the class. In its place, was a voice coated in ice, that I had never before heard from him.

Wordlessly, I nodded my head, the words that I wanted to say stuck in my throat, unable to get out.