Chapter 10

Everyone, listen to the song (Haunted Heart- WILD) while reading the conversation between Jean and Alexis. It sort of describes their feelings don't even talk to any other friends now because of how Travis left both of them.
And because I love it. :'3

                                   ---

I fluttered my eyes open.

My hammock was swinging slightly as I let my eyes adjust to the dim room.

The room was simply furnished yet comfortable, with a small carpet in the centre and a table at one end on my left, a fireplace set in another wall across me, two bunks beds arranged near the corner of the room with a cupboard in between and a door beside one of the beds, on my right.

The small high window was right above my head, curtains filtering the sunlight through it.

"Oh...you're awake."

I blinked at Alexis, who had her hand on one of the bunk beds, letting go of it as she walked to me. She was now wearing a simple light blue shirt, black jeans and combat boots.

Her neatly braided dark brown hair and chocolaty eyes against her fair skin and finely structured cheekbones...she was beautiful.

She dragged a small chair by the table with her foot beside me as I pushed myself up slowly, the hammock swinging, and adjusted myself with my legs folded, facing her.

She sat straddling the chair backwards, her chin on her arms as she gazed at me.

I lifted my hand to my head and groaned, dropping it.

I noticed a small sword hilt sticking out from her belt. "Alexis...can I borrow that for a second?"

She started a bit, hesitating and then handed the blade to me.

I turned it over in my hands, tracing the pattern in the handle. It was a double edged small blade, about a foot long, light in weight. Even though it didn't seem like much, it had its own beauty.

The patterns were like random swirly lines topped with silver, dark blue in between the ridges.

But I didn't borrow it to admire it.

Lifting the blade up, I promptly sliced through my braid. It dropped in my lap neatly.

Alexis stared at me. "Why would you even?"

Why did I..? Just felt like it.

I sighed. "I think I made my hair messy now...can you trim it up a bit? Doesn't matter if you don't know how to really.." I bit my lip.

She laughed, standing up, her eyes glinting. "I'm good with Egil."

"Egil?"

"It's just..Norse, an old Viking language for 'little edge'.." she murmured, standing behind me and starting on my hair.

Oh..Egil was the blade's name.

She had a faint scent of cherries on her.

Travis had a scent of wild, sweet berries on him every time I hugged him. I then asked me what I smelt like because I probably smelt like cat poo for all I knew.

He laughed, putting his hand on my head, taking advantage of his extra two inches. "Cookie dough," he declared. I gasped, "I SMELL LIKE RAW DOUGH??" He laughed, his deep, soft laughter resonating in my heart. "I like it."