Chapter 1

Hypothetically, I've been dead for 5 years; hypothetically, I died in a ring of fire because I saved my best friend Hiccup and his dragon Toothless from being burned alive; hypothetically, my dragon Thunderlight died with me.

Truth be spoken, I'm still alive, safe and sound, along with him. We've been through a lot in the past few years.

Maybe you'd like me to explain how on earth I managed to live in the first place.

Yes, I fell in the middle of the ring of fire, half of Thunderlight's tail got burned, and me? Well, I had really serious burns in both my arms and legs, so it was really hard for me to move but, I still don't know how, I escaped.

Now, you're probably asking yourself why I didn't come back to Berk.

First of all: Thunderlight's tail was burned, and the vikings wouldn't hesitate on burning the rest of him if I stayed; I couldn't take the risk. He was my best friend.

Second of all: I did consider coming back, but then I saw my funeral.

As everyone thought my body was burned, they took some things from my house, placed them on a boat, and set it on fire; an old Berk tradition every time one of us dies. I could see Hiccup in front of the village, his father was saying some words, my friend was crying, Astrid was trying to comfort him, and the image broke my heart. It wouldn't have been appropriate to burst in the middle of the scene, so I didn't do anything. 

At least, that's what I told myself. The truth is, I was scared of what they would say so I ran away.

I spent three months wandering on my own with Thunderlight as my only company, until a young couple found me and brought me to their home. Their names were Gabrielle and Noah. They healed my burns; Noah was a blacksmith, so he made Thunderlight a prosthetic tail but due to the accident, he couldn't fly on his own; I had to help him. Not that it bothered me anyway; I really appreciated what they did for us. They even offered to adopt me!

One day, I went out for a ride with my dragon, and decided I would stay with them, but when I came back I couldn't find them anywhere. Instead, I found a note they had left for me saying that I had to grab everything I thought would be useful and ran away, because someone had found them and would come back for me. I didn't know who that someone was, I still don't, but I did as told. Eight months had passed.

Then, I got captured by pirates and spent two years as their prisoner; they wanted to kill Thunderlight and eat him. The only thing that stopped them was a girl called Claire; she told them my dragon could be useful in the future and they agreed. Since that day, she snuck out everyday to bring food and water for my best friend and I; she also brought the news from above. But, one day, they discovered our secret meetings, and she paid the consequences. I was left alone again. She had been a close friend and I needed to run away, because the pirates  could do as they pleased with me now that she was gone; when I finally managed to do it, three months from the third year had passed.

Thunderlight and I spent some more days wandering on our own, until we found a village. My only plan was to ask for shelter for the night, but a couple ended up taking me in. I made new friends, and two more years passed until I finally decided it was time for me to go back to Berk.

So there I was, making last minute arrangements on Thunderlight's saddle; packing food, water and that kind of stuff, when someone called for me.

"'Lexi! There you are!" I turned around to find Anna; she is one of the friends I made here in Haustchet. When I first arrived to the village she was seven years old, now she was nine. She had blonde hair and green eyes; she was one of the nicest girls I had ever met. She was kind and cared a lot about others. She was like a little sister to me.