Chapter 9

"What is your plan?" I asked Hiccup while flying next to him.

"Plan?" he asked confused. That was all I could tell from his voice, because it was muffled under his helmet.

"Hiccup, I've been dead for five years now, you're not seriously expecting me to burst in and yell 'Surprise! I wasn't dead all this time, I was just hiding!' Right? How do you think that will go?"

"It's going to be fine, trust me on this" he said shrugging it off, but I still wasn't sure "So, anyways..." he started, and I looked at him expectantly "Where have you been all these years?" 

That was exactly the kind of question I was not willing to answer. I knew I'd have to explain it to him sooner or later, but I decided to stick with later, or never, if possible.

"I-"

"Lexi! Come over here!" Astrid shouted ahead of us. It was weird hearing my nickname on her lips after all that time; I gave Hiccup an apologetic smile, although it was a relief to have an excuse so as not to tell him about mine and Thunderlight's 'adventures', and went over to Astrid.

"What's up?" I asked, trying to sound relaxed. She probably wanted to talk about my reaction on her and Hiccup earlier, it was too obvious that how they acted around each other bothered me. Good job me.

She grabbed Stormfly's handholds tightly, and looked at me with a serious expression; I had never seen Astrid so serious before. 

Oh, Thor. That was so not going to end well.

"You like Hiccup, don't you?" she asked, making sure he couldn't listen. 

I knew it.

"How did you realize?" I questioned, not even bothering to deny it. It was pretty obvious, even for me. And everyone seemed eager to remind me about it; there wasn't a single day that came by on Haustchet without my friends teasing me about Hiccup.

"Maybe because it's a little bit obvious" she answered "I've seen how you look at him, you'd do anything for him" I couldn't help smiling. That was true.

"I knew him before any of you did" I explained, without the intention of rubbing it in her face. I was aware that everyone had become closer in the years I was gone, and I had no reservations about it. In fact, it made me happy to know that Hiccup had people he could rely on without me around. He deserved it "He was really goofy, but had a great heart. He still does. His eyes, smile, hair..." I said dreamily.

"Woah, woah, don't need to get all cheesy" I laughed.

"Sorry. But, don't you like him?" I asked looking at her, but she shrugged.

"I do, but he doesn't like me back" she replied, and didn't seem sad at all "I mean, we kissed one time after you left but..." she stopped in her tracks realizing what she had just said, and I arched my eyebrows.

"Really?"

"Oh, but it meant nothing!" she added quickly "He was really upset, and it was the first thing that came to me" I chuckled.

"Relax, it doesn't bother me" I grabbed the handholds tightly "Maybe I could use it to tease him a little bit" Astrid giggled upon hearing that.

"That'd be really funny" she said. I was about to say something else, but the first comment sunk in. My face contorted in curiosity as I looked at the girl beside me.

"Wait, how are you so sure it meant nothing?" Astrid smiled at me.

"Because he's still not over you, especially now that you came back" I opened my eyes wide.