Chapter 8 (F)

Okay, I wasn't usually distressed. I was usually a calm and nice person but,  at that moment I was biting my thumbnail like crazy and grabbing my hair up to the point it hurt.

Hiccup was about to show the whole of Berk that they didn't have to kill the dragons, and that really got on my nerves, okay? He was going to break with a tradition that had existed for years, and it was definitely not going to be an easy task. Specially because Vikings were the definition of stubborn.

Anything could go wrong: the Monstrous Nightmare could see him as a threat because of the Viking helmet his father gave him. For all it knew, the people who attacked him were always wearing those things. Hiccup could crash with one of the walls surrounding the arena and may get hurt or faint, like the first time he saw Toothless (Don't judge me, I had all my faith placed on him, but I had to point out all the possibilities too) What else, what else?

...Oh, there was Hiccup! And I could see Astrid behind the gates. I was really trying not to be jealous, and I believed I was doing a good job; Hiccup deserved his happiness, and if Astrid made him happy, then that was okay with me.

He had talked with me before Astrid, anyway. It went a little bit like this:

"A-any last minute advice?" Hiccup asked nervously, clutching the helmet tightly.

"Don't get killed" he was about to say something, something sarcastic for sure, but I hugged him with all my strength before he could, and he hugged me back "Be careful" 

Even though I knew he was going to be safe, I still needed to say that. I needed to remind him that there were people who cared about him and whose lives would not be the same if something happened to him, me amongst all of them.

"I know I don't need to remind you, but if something goes wrong, just make sure they don't find Toothless" he said after we broke apart.

"Didn't you hear what I just said?" he looked at me confused "Nothing will go wrong, Hic. You won't let that happen"

"Thank you, 'Lex"

I truly hoped he didn't let that happen. He was the only hope for the dragons, because while I did have a good relationship with them, I would never be able to convince people not to hurt them. He had the way with words, I could only provide moral support.

Anyway, let's focus back on Hiccup:

He had just dropped the knife and shield, I could hear the crowd's complaints, and I was telling them, in my mind of course, to shut up. Hiccup knew what he was doing.

The dragon snarled while Hiccup stuck his hands out to calm him down.

"Hey, it's okay. It's okay" he was scurrying backwards instinctively. He wasn't afraid, he was just trying to show the Monstrous Nightmare that he wasn't going to hurt him.

Then, he took off his helmet, gave his dad a quick glance, and threw it to one side while the crowd gasped in disbelief. A smiled crawled up my lips.

"Stop the fight" ordered Stoick sternly, but Hiccup spoke up.

"No!" he said, and I got closer to the gates as adrenaline ran through my body "I need you all to see this" he stuck his hand out while the dragon looked at it, his face a mixture of anger and doubt "They are not what we think they are. We don't have to kill them" I smiled. He looked so confident in his field: dragons. When he was with dragons, no one could tell him he was weak, or that he wasn't a Viking; that was what made Hiccup....Well, Hiccup.

Out of the corner of my eyes, I saw that the entire crowd had turned to look at Stoick, waiting for his reaction expectantly.

"I said, STOP THE FIGHT!" he hit the gates with his hammer, and I cursed.