Chapter 23

We came back to Valka's dragon sanctuary after the island. Let me sum up what happened after the memories of my parents almost ruined Hiccup's beautiful moment with his mother: Valka discovered that Hiccup had taken after her, she asked him to start over, Hiccup accepted, Valka showed him a secret about Toothless' anatomy (There is a special zone on his back that made spikes emerge from all over him, and that made it easier for them to do the trick they had been trying to perfect since forever), the gift they had was who Hiccup was, they hugged, it was all happiness and sunshine, until Hiccup mentioned that they could both got to talk to Drago, to which Valka immediately refused, and I had to agree with that decision.

Afterwards, I had no idea where he had gone to. I needed some time on my own to think about things, and I was sitting by the tunnel that connected the sanctuary to Valka's home, with Thunderlight resting beside me and I leaning against his back, while I drew some doodles on the ground with a stick, until someone covered my mouth and I desperately tried to get rid of it.

The mysterious person then let go of me, and I could see it was Gobber, who stared around in case someone came.

"What are you doing here?!" I hissed, trying not to give away that someone else was there.

"We are here to rescue you!" he started to walk towards the end of the tunnel and motioned for me and Thunderlight to follow him. I rolled my eyes, we were repeating the same situation from some hours before.

"I already told you, Gobber, we don't need to be rescued!" we arrived to the entrance, and saw that Stoick was there, too, and Hiccup beside him, arguing about who knows what.

Then, my best friend noticed us there, and looked at me surprised. He hadn't seen me since we came back, and I hadn't seen him, either, but I couldn't force myself to look back. Not after what happened just some hours before. He was very much aware that something was up, but I didn't want to tell him and ruin everything. Avoiding every kind of contact was the best way to avoid confrontation.

Stoick started to walk towards the exit, I supposed, though I didn't even know where the entrance was, and we didn't have any other choice but to follow him.

"Uh, dad, there-there's something you need to know" started Hiccup. I looked back to make sure that the dragons were following us, and then back ahead, not recognizing where we were. I didn't even know how on earth I arrived to the tunnel; the whole thing was so huge! You could easily get lost! I wondered how much time it had taken Valka to find her way around.

"Yeah, yeah, tell me on the way" replied his father, while still walking.

"Well, this isn't an 'on the way' kind of update, actually" he said, and indeed it wasn't. You should tell your father that your mother is alive as soon as you can.

"I've heard enough, Hiccup" gods, he was so stubborn! Hiccup definitely got it from him; they had a similar personality, same with his mother. Hiccup was the perfect mix between his parents.

"More-more of the earth-shattering development variety" I know what you are asking yourselves right now, and the answer is no. He wasn't overreacting, or being dramatic, his words made sense.

"Yeah, just add it to the pile" said his dad indifferent. Well, it was kind of true that most of Hiccup's updates were the 'earth shattering development variety' so we should add his mother being alive to the list.

"Yeah, I...Uh...Uh...Dad, un-unlike most surprises I spring on you, this is one you'll like. I-I promise. You just have to handle it delicately" continued the chief's son.

"Oh, so me being alive after all is an unpleasant surprise?" I couldn't help but ask, and Hiccup looked at me speechless. I was pretty sure it was because I was actually talking to him after two hours of nothing.