Chapter 33

Finally, we are back from Canada. We had arrived two days back. Sameer was very much upset with me coming here, but he has work and as it is I have to come back sooner or later. I had completed unpacking, and was now setting everything in place.

"Hanya" he knocked on my door.

"Come in" I replied stuffing the suitcase on the top shelf.

"Busy?" He asked.

"Not much!!" I glanced back.

"Wanted to talk to you about Adeel" he said leaning on the wardrobe door.

"What about Adeel? Is he alright? What happened? Where is he??" While I was blurting, My feet slip and I'm falling. I can't open my voice to scream, fear, paralysing my body. I'm falling down. The expected thump of the ground doesn't come. A small gasp left my lips when I opened my eyes.

Instead of falling on the ground, I was in his arms. He had caught me. We both kept on staring for a while, but soon I averted my gaze and stood up. He awkwardly cleared his throat, while I straightened my dress.

"Umm, you were saying something about Adeel" I asked.

"Uhh, yeah!! Tomorrow is his routine checkup as well as his vaccination" he said.

"Yeah, I know that."

"So can you take him to the hospital tomorrow and I'll meet you directly over there?" He asked

"Yeah sure. No problem." I smiled

"Thanks"

"For what?"

"Just like that" he shrugged and left!!

I feel like I've learned a lot in these last five months, but that I'm also completely clueless. In some ways, doing a work of mother is not nearly as complicated as everyone made it out to be...but in other ways, it's more complicated than I thought possible.

Our day starts after he leave for office with Adeel's morning feed. After he's done with feeding I pick him up from his Rock n Play, flip on my back and lay him on my chest.
We go into the nursery for a diaper change and to get him dressed for the day. He won't stay in that outfit for long, though.

After those 30-45 minutes of activity, he starts yawning which means it's time to put him down for a nap before he gets too tired and starts belting out.
During that time, I try to get as many chores done as possible.

After his mid-afternoon feeding, he is usually pretty conked out. He will nap for about two hours. I also take a nap with him. This nap marks the end of good naps for the day, usually, but sometimes we get lucky. Since I'm home with him during the day, when Zain comes home around 8:30pm, it's daddy time.. After dinner, they both either go on a walk or play. I treasure these couple of hours to myself. Even a mom needs to take care of herself to be able to take care of her baby.

But a father also needs to do his duty...it's 9:00pm and he's still not home. I put Adeel in his cot, and called him.

"Hello" he answered

"Hi..umm..it's 9:00, where are you?" I asked

"Uhh...actually, I have a meeting at eleven, so most probably I'll be late" he replied softly.

"Eleven in the night??" I shrieked.

"It is night...so yeah, night!!" He chuckled.

"Umm...then, you must be hungry?" I asked awkwardly.

"A bit...don't worry, I'll eat something" he replied in a tired tone.

"No, you'll not eat something...I'm bringing you dinner." I said without thinking.