Tina's Assignment

"Newt?"

Queenie was looking at him expectantly. Oh no, what'd he forget to do? Oh right. Why he was in New York.

You and I both, Queenie. Why am I here? he thought.

He noticed Tina was listening. He gave the obvious answer.

"Oh, well before I got on the boat to go back to England, I had promised Tina I would give hers in person," he said, embarrassed slightly by the memory. Because then he had stroked her face and tucked her hair behind her ear. He still has no clue why he did that. It just felt like a reflex. If he was being honest, he was deathly scared of losing Tina. He had wanted to kiss her on the cheek, or maybe just above her forehead, but he couldn't bring himself to. Leta had immediately entered his mind and guilt flooded through him. Then of course he had to go. A regret that followed him everywhere.

Leta- every time he thought about her a bitter taste entered his mouth. Even after all these years, he couldn't bring himself to forgive her. She had done a lot of damage to him, and his record. He was lucky that Dumbledore had managed to erase most of his cover-ups for him. He had done so much for her, and gotten so little in return. He wasn't sure what he did to make her mad, still wasn't sure. But he knew that he hadn't always been the best for the moral high ground, so he stopped thinking and focused. 

He glanced at Tina. Her face had elated into a warm expression, and she looked pleased.

"Tina," Queenie said, exasperated. "Of course he remembered. Did you really think that he'd forg-"

"When are you going help me in the kitchen, Queenie?" Tina interrupted. "Honestly. I can't do this meal by myself." Newt could head a smile in her voice.

"Well, I thought you were going out tonight. I wasn't planning to be in a helping mood," Queenie huffed.

Newt's heart dropped. So she had been planning to go out. He knew he had waited too long. Who knows, maybe she's about to go out on a date with some handsome man that has already swept her off her feet, he thought. Tina was beautiful. It was naive of him to think that she wouldn't move on. Not that there had been anything anyways. Right?

He stumbled over the words after that. "Oh, well by all means, I'm terribly sorry to bother you, I didn't mean to intrude or interrupt any of your previous plans, I can certainly come back tomorrow, no problem-"

"Newt," Tina said chuckling. "You aren't bothering or interrupting any plans. You're very welcome here. We've all missed you," she admitted, red starting to appear in her cheeks.
She started walking towards the door and Newt quickly followed and stepped toward the coat rack.

"You'll be cold, take my coat," he objected as she started to walk out the door.

Her dimples showed as she grinned. "All right," she allowed, a surprised but happy expression in her features as he wrapped her shoulders with his blue coat. "I'll be back late!" she called to Queenie. "Leave some strudel for me!"

She opened the door, her heels knocking against the wood. She turned to Newt, who probably looked a little distraught.
It seemed to give her confidence. She said the words soft and delicately.

"Newt."

He looked up. "Tina?"

She seemed to be steeling her nerves but spoke gently. "I've missed you." He felt a jolt of an emotion he couldn't quite explain course through him and he smiled as she shut the door.

                                     ***
Tina was still reeling as she walked out the door. Her day had just gotten ten times better. Newt was back! Oh, the words in that order- she never thought they would ever come true. She had an extra skip in her step but forced herself to calm. She was working. Tone it down, Tina, she said to herself.