The Fight

Tina walked out of her room, slowly making her way to the kitchen, desperate for some coffee. She had been up all night, trying to track down where Percival Williams was going to be in the next couple of weeks so she could find the information she needed for MACUSA. She didn't want to know what time she fell asleep. She needed an energy boost.

As she walked into the kitchen, Queenie was at the table, eating breakfast and almost beaming with happiness as she looked through a newspaper. Tina promised herself she would ask later. Newt was cooking breakfast and handed her a coffee as she walked toward him.

"Ugh, thank you," she said, exhausted. She downed half the mug in one swig. "When did you learn how to make coffee?"

"Since I became quite attached to it yesterday," he confessed, grinning as he sipped his own, leaning back on the counter. "Why do you look so tired?"

"Thanks, I know I look radiant, Newt," she teased. "I was up until who knows when looking up the guy I need to interrogate." She looked up, guilt building. "Sorry, I know I said I would start going to bed earlier."

Newt shrugged. "Don't apologize," he said, walking forward. "It was meant for you. Though I do wish you would. You look so tired every morning." He tucked her hair behind her ear.

Red colored her cheeks as she brightened. "Well, this morning is different, because I actually figured out something!"

"Oh yeah?" he said, gesturing for her to sit down with him.

"Turns out, he'll be in the area around this weekend for another meeting," she said, sitting down. "I've just got to be there at the right time. I'll send some people to start looking into it. It's vital I get what he knows," she continued. "I've never seen my boss so determined."

"I'm sure you will," he said, confident. "I might be home a little late today," he added, standing up.

This was new. "Why?"

"I'm looking at apartments," he replied casually.

"Why would you do that?" she said, shocked, hopes starting to rise. 

"Well, I'll be here for a while, New York I mean, and I don't want to intrude any longer than I already have. Besides, I haven't even shown you my book yet, and that's why I came in the first place," he added, smiling.

Oh right.

Tina had completely forgotten about his book. And it seems so did he. How had weeks gone past and none of them had even thought about it?

"Why can't you just stay in your case?" Tina asked. "That way you don't have to pay anything for an apartment."

"Well, I can't stay in my case for everything," Newt pointed out. "Besides, I like living in New York."

Tina smiled. "I can help you if you want," she offered. For some reason, her weariness had mysteriously disappeared.

"It's alright," he said. "This is something I want to do by myself. Besides, don't you have work today?"

Tina sighed. "I wish I had an excuse to get out of it," she said, her mood dropping, thinking about her recent work problems.

Newt smiled. "I may have one for you. If you really want to get out of work, can you feed my creatures this morning? I should probably get a head start on looking for apar-"

Tina cut him off. "Wait, you want me to feed your creatures? Without you?" she asked, astounded.

"Well, yes," he said, his grin widening. "I mean, there's no one I would trust more with them. Besides, they've been asking for you."