Return to Hogwarts

A couple months later:

"Remind me why we're going to this, uh, Hogports again?" Tina asked Newt as they approached the gates of Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry.

"Hogwarts," Newt corrected, looking down at their entwined hands between them as they levitated their luggage behind them and trailed behind a quartet of students looking suspiciously behind them. "And it's the only place we'll be safe in Europe from Grindelwald."

"I guess," she agreed as they made their way through the courtyard. "Already did our honeymoon anyway." He laughed, and then felt a flood of nostalgia overtake him as they walked the grounds.

Then he saw the bench in the courtyard that he would always meet Leta by after class. He caught his breath. That was where he had his first-

He felt someone shaking his arm as he stopped dead in his tracks. "Newt, you look as white as a ghost," Tina whispered, looking at him in concern. "What's wrong?"

He shook himself out of his thoughts. "Just memories," he murmured, and kept walking.

"Hey, look, it's Newt Scamander!" a kid by the looks of it, a third year, shouted and everyone around turned to look at him, and then rushed towards him at once.

"Blasted Slytherin," Newt muttered. Tina swatted his arm. "Be nice." Then absolute pandemonium broke out.

"Sign my book!"

"Oh, who has a camera! I want a picture!"

"Can I hug you?"

"He's beautiful," a girl murmured.

"Children!" Newt heard a familiar voice break through the crowd, and push to the front of the students. He smiled.

"Professor McGonagall," Newt greeted, stepping forward and shaking her hand.

"Nice to see you again, Mr. Scamander," she answered, her face softening. "What brings you to Hogwarts?"

"I do hope I'm not intruding," Newt said. "But we happen to have some angry wizards on our trail and we were wondering if we could stay here for a while."

McGonagall smiled. "You're always welcome here, after everything you've done for the school. Come, I'm sure  Professor Dumbledore would love to see you- he's just teaching his Transfiguration class right now." She set their luggage on their way into a different tower, then led them down a hall and turned left, opening the door as Newt and Tina walked in.

Dumbledore looked up from his book, and then smiled. "Well, what do you know, Newton Scamander," he said, opening his arms and walking over to them.

Tina nudged his arm. "Newton?"

Newt looked down embarrassedly, as Dumbledore turned to his students. "Now this was a good student," he said pointedly.

Newt looked down again, smiling. "Always was my favorite teacher," Newt admitted.

"Never should've gotten expelled," Dumbledore grumbled, shaking his head. "The Ministry's influence tends to harm more than help these days." He turned his eyes to Tina. "Lovely to see you again, as a Mrs. Scamander, I hear."