Grindelwald

Newt felt like his world was no longer slowly falling away. All of it was completely shattering apart. He had been betrayed before by Leta Lestrange, true. But even when he got expelled, he never had experienced something so horrifically cruel as the act she had just committed.

Tina's eyes slowly fluttered open, starting to regain consciousness as she lay mostly limp against the floor. "I'm not g-going to g-give up-" she started, and then she saw Newt. Her expression started to change until then she seemed to come to a realization and her face seemed to drop.

"Newt," Tina croaked, her voice cracking.

Newt winced. That probably meant she had been screaming.

He felt another rush of anger towards Leta. "You have to get out- out of here," Tina managed to weakly say, struggling to get up.

Immediately Grindelwald pointed his wand at Tina and she screamed again. Newt flinched, hard. "Stop!" he yelled. He glared at Leta. "How could you turn me in?"

Leta walked forward. "You have to understand, I didn't want to do this, but Grindelwald threatened your safety, and this is the only way you don't have to get hurt. Don't you see, Newt? We can be together again, like the old times."

He stared at her, astounded. "Wait, let me- let me get this straight. You think that I'll want to be with you, after you've let one of the closest people in my life get-get tortured?" he cringed at the word, and he looked at Grindelwald.

He pointed his wand at him. "Let her go," Newt said. "She's been through enough."

Grindelwald stopped the curse on Tina. She started to breathe very hard, her body crumpling to the floor. He turned in Newt's direction. "And what will you have in exchange, Mr. Scamander?"

He hesitated. He knew Tina would never forgive him for this. "Me," he said, stepping forward. "I'll go in her place."

"No!" Tina yelled, her voice cracking painfully. "Newt, don't, please," she begged.

He shook his head. "Tina, this isn't right. Go."

He looked at Grindelwald. "It's me you really want, isn't it?" he challenged quietly. "Do we have a deal?"

Grindelwald thought for a moment. Then he flicked his wand, and Tina was thrown across the room in his direction. Newt immediately raised his wand, and levitated her slowly towards himself. She fell into his arms, and then he was hugging her tightly.

"Newt, we have to go," she breathed. "I know, I'm not leaving you here," he assured her. "My case is close by. Get into it, and I'll follow after."

He looked at Grindelwald. "Just give us a minute to say goodbye," Newt started to plead.

"I'm not leaving you two alone," he said firmly. "I promise we won't leave if you leave us alone," Newt said desperately.

He smiled. "No," he repeated, "but if I left Leta..." He trailed off. Grindelwald turned around.

"I'll let you two say goodbye," he said smiling. "But Leta has to stay and watch you do it."

Leta looked at him incredulously. "You're not serious."

"I am," he said, wickedly happy. "And don't let them leave or you'll feel it later," he threatened darkly. He apparated out of the room, leaving the door locked as he left.