Into the Case

Newt didn't know what was happening. He was still dazed after, well everything.

He sat down in his room, staring out the window at the dull streets of New York. Sounds of cars against the road and people talking filled the air as he pushed open the window. It's not that he didn't like New York, but he needed a familiar place. He needed to clear his head.

He slid his weathered leather case from underneath the bed. He set it on the ground, where he had climbed in with Jacob so long ago.

He opened the door from his work area and started to feed his creatures. He let his mind wander as he worked, going over the past events on his mind.

Well, for starters, he was far happier than he would like to admit that Tina wasn't in a relationship with anyone. Not that it changed anything. At least until today.

He had embarrassed himself so much already. And it was only 12:30 in the afternoon! He hadn't been in control of his words like he usually was. Normally he would do the opposite, keeping his words inside, his thoughts to himself. But he felt so comfortable around her, he would let his guard down around her without even realizing it.

But in her room. They had been so close. He had had to resist the urge to immediately pull her closer, but he still wasn't completely sure how she felt. He had looked to her, and he could tell she had wanted to wait, which was fine by him. He felt utterly blind.

He was just walking back to finish up when he heard, "Wow."

He turned. Tina was standing at the foot of the shed, staring in wonder at the world inside of his case. He felt happy that she was in awe of his creatures. After all, they were his world.

"Newt," she said, walking "You've collected more creatures," she accused. "The place seems bigger, too."

He shrugged, smiling. "Well, the creatures needed some place to grow," he said modestly. "It's grown a lot over the years, adding more to it after every trip I take."

"I can tell." She hesitated, then spoke. "Can I help you? I want to see every part of this place."

His heart expanded.

"Sure," he said, turning around, and she peeked around his shoulder.

"You're feeding the occamies?" Tina exclaimed. "You have to let me help," she demanded, smiling and stepping in front of him. She wanted to help him?

"Well, I guess if you want to," he stammered. She excitedly took the bucket and glanced at him. "Are you going to just stand here, or are you going to give me a tour?"

He gained control of his thoughts. His world was familiar territory.

"Right," he said. "Well, we should start with where the occamies live, and work our way around?" She nodded, beaming.

He glanced at her hand. He took a breath and reached out his, offering it to her. "Ready?" he asked.

She looked down surprised, and then smiled as she took it. Then they broke into a  run, dashing through the trees together and disappeared into the forest.

                                        ***
Tina couldn't believe how much Newt changed when he talked about his creatures. It was like a whole other side to him. He was so passionate about what he did, and it made her feel partly proud of him, of how much he had accomplished. It was always something she had admired about him from the start, even when she had arrested him.

It seemed like centuries ago since she had seen Newt. But now? After a day, she felt even more safe and comfortable with him than she had ever been.

Newt Returns to New York (Newtina Fanfiction)On viuen les histories. Descobreix ara