Chapter 4

You assumed the nightmare you had on your first night would be just that, a nightmare. But after two more sleepless nights it became clear to you that this was probably going to be a permanent thing. And it was always the same dream. You would run until you were frozen on the spot, see those powerful eyes staring at you, then fire would erupt around you and those eyes would remain watching you until you finally woke up and couldn't go back to sleep due to feeling their gaze whenever you tried to. About the only thing that did change was the location. The second dream took place in a random village instead of a forest, while the third one took place at Beacon in the courtyard.

You never bothered telling any of team CFVY about them, claiming that you normally had trouble getting to sleep whenever they brought up your apparent tiredness.

"(y/n) wake up." Velvet said quietly while nudging you gently. Immediately you jolted up slightly.

Velvet had invited you to join her in one of her classes, grimm studies, a class she had without any of her teammates. You accepted her invitation without hesitation, only for you to doze after a sleepless night roughly five minutes after the class began.

"Pay attention." she whispered.

You listened to the teacher a, middle-aged man who introduced himself to you at the start of class as Professor Port, aware of your situation. Velvet was one of the very few in the class that actually seemed to be paying attention to him, engrossed in writing notes while others around her showed disinterest.

"Are you gonna wake them up as well?" you asked Velvet quietly while you gestured to several students who were asleep. She rolled her eyes and resumed writing her notes. "I can't get to sleep. What's their excuse?"

Port's lecture went off topic quickly when it reminded him of an experience from when he was younger. You heard Velvet sigh when he began and stopped taking notes.

"He might be a while." she said, already bored, so you took it upon yourself to entertain her.

"Do you think I should get him to tell me a story before bed each night? Maybe it'll help me get to sleep?"

Immediately Velvet covered her mouth with her hand to silence her laughter. She continued laughing for several seconds, her head shaking as she did. Once she stopped she spoke to you again.

"After this we have lunch with the others. I was thinking that once we finish eating we try find you a weapon. Beacon has a place where they keep any unused weapons."

"Do I really have to have one?" you asked. "I figured I'd just go around hitting thing really hard."

"Yes. It'll be useful for you to have when we're at combat class later one."

"If you say so."

Suddenly the class grew more enthusiastic, with everyone's hand jolting up. You picked up quickly the Port had brought in a grimm, currently locked in a cage, for someone in class to kill, making it easy to see why there was such a shift with the student's attitudes.

"How about our guest takes a shot at it?" Professor Port indicated towards you.

"Me? No... let someone else do it. I've never fought before and I don't even have a weapon."

"Nonsense. From what I've heard you handled yourself perfectly fine against a much more fearsome opponent. Surely you're more than capable of handling a simple Boarbatusk."

"I had help."

"Then if you'd like, Miss Scarlatina shall accompany you in case things get out of hand." He suggested before turning to Velvet. "Is that alright with you?"