Bhaja Govindam

Prabhu closely meditated upon OM's eyes. He could see his expressions clear; quite ambivalent and jumping from question to question. OM's lips parted and closed quickly and his throat choked; as if he had kept in something he was about to tell. A smile automatically manifested itself on Prabhu's lips and he sniffed loudly to catch his attention.

"Yes?" he inquired and OM looked at Prabhu with a pale face.
"Self-mastery is what we need then?" he looked up slowly matching his eye contact with the ground in intervals.
"Yes. OM, everybody's ultimate goal is Shree Krishna. We all want to dissolve in the ocean of purity, that is, him. And for that, we must learn detachment and giving up lust, greed and anger." Prabhu closed his eyes and sighed. OM still looked at the latter who seemed to be overwhelmed with love for Shree Krishna.
"Prabhuji" called OM, "Isn't that quite a big task. And you too keep saying that it is really hard to apply the knowledge gained in the Gita?"

Prabhu looked at OM and admired his sense of questioning for a second. He had been in the teaching business since a long time but no student like OM had he ever found. He turned his head aside and laughed to himself. Not of humour but of intense joy which could hardly be expressed; joy of finding a student.

But he also thought what to tell OM. His eyes were intense and he knew that OM would not leave till he was fully satisfied. Yes, it indeed is a long process for self-mastery but he was afraid his answers wouldn't satisfy OM much. After a minute of silence OM turned frustrated. He nodded his head as if reminding Prabhu of his presence. Prabhu smiled as for now he knew what OM must know.

"Yes, OM" said he, "It is a real long process. Self-mastery is not an easy task, after all. Implementing the knowledge in waking life is what leads to wisdom. But that is again hard. And that is why people must reach a spiritual master"
OM shrugged. He gave a naughty smile to Prabhu and Prabhu laughed while speaking; knowing what OM meant.
"In the Gita, itself, Shree Krishna tells us, 'It is better to leave with many people rather you alone as an individual.' A spiritual master is like a helping hand. You cannot perform all tasks alone. Sometimes even the greatest of all needs help."
"So a spiritual master can make the job easier you say?"
"Yes" he smiled leaning back on the wall, "But you don't need to worry about the time. Let it take as long as it wants. What you have to do is only chant Govinda's name".

At this, OM looked up losing all of his interest in watching the ground. Hearing Govinda's name itself brings a shine on OM's face and when he suddenly heard, he left all his jobs and looked up to Prabhu; reminding us of the relationship the Gopis shared with Lord Krishna. But he was confused. Where did chanting Govinda's name come out of nowhere?
"Yes" Prabhu said, now laughing a little louder.

bhajagovindaM bhajagovindaM

govindaM bhajamuuDhamate .

saMpraapte sannihite kaale

nahi nahi rakshati DukRiJNkaraNe

"This verse in 'Bhaja Govindam' by Shankaracharya. It is said that he was once disheartened looking at an old man trying to learn grammar rules of Sanskrit. He at once reached him and here is where the meaning of the verse comes - there is no need to waste your precious time in learning new languages. Spend your time chanting Shree Krishna's - the Supreme teacher's - name, O! Fool. These grammar rules won't mean anything to you at the time of death.

"This is what I instruct, OM. You should spend your time chanting Shree Krishna's name and imbibing purity in you. And that will lead you to wisdom, anyways. So stop thinking about the time it will take. Yes, it is a long journey but where does it matter to you? Keep chanting his name and that is more than enough. Haribol!"

OM was already screaming from inside in excitement. Was it the happiness he felt for Prabhu that he is the greatest devotee of Shree Krishna ( the way OM considers)? Or was it Murari's name which made him secretly blush from inside? But one thing was true he knew - that thinking about him and chanting his name does bring real peace and joy.

"Jai Shree Krishna!" OM exclaims with tears welled up in his eyes....