Chapter 14

Big thanks to Army-brat2000 She edited this chapter and made my cover! Give her a look she has other stories and can help make you a cover! Thanks girl!

"Just remember, anger is always your enemy. You must keep your emotions in check. The moment you lose control of them, you lose the fight every time. "

Lilly growled in warning to a young pup, maybe 14, as he crawled towards her belly, low to the ground. His wolf was a dusty grey with flecks of sliver, his eyes a bright green. He paused and whined softly looking at her kill. A large doe maybe 220 pounds, she would feed several wolves, but Lilly did not want to share. The pup edged closer his mouth open in a puppy-like grin as he looked at the fresh meat, eyes bright.

Snarling at the pup she had him backing off a foot or so. She continued eating, eyeing the pup warily.

"Fine," she gave in.

The pup yipped happily as it licked her muzzle quickly, ignoring the loud snarling, and began to knaw on the leg of the doe. He was almost as large as she was, around the size of a large dog, but most of it was fur, she knew that. Pups had extra fur, even in summer, often making them look twice as large as they actually were. Though, she could tell he was not eating enough. His fur did not shine or glisten like all well fed wolf's did. His eyes also seemed a bit dull, and sunken.

Lilly's heart sunk, in the wild, a pup was always fed and mother wolves would starve before they allowed their pups to go hungry. Often, a pack affair, the entire pack would hunt then bring back food for the pups. It was the sign of a bad Alpha or mother to allow the pups to go hungry. In the larger packs with the shifters she found it was often left to the individual family's each operating like a small pack that was living in a larger pack. The Alpha was not the only one allowed to rear pups. And because of this, they had gammas who took care of the packs family's and made sure none of the pups, or families, were left to starve. After the original attack, they added an entire pack to theirs, making the pack go from 75 wolves to 320. They, in turn, needed three gammas. Mason Briggs, Lorance Macrin, and Laim Richards.

Lilly pushed the deer closer to the pup and watched it eat, thinking. If this pup was starving perhaps many more were and this could have been what caused the gamma to leave

Watching the pup eat, she contacted one of the gammas through the link, "Mason."

"Yes Luna?" He answered quickly.

"How many pups are there? Any without families?" She questioned him.

"We have 74 pups all under 17 years old. Only five don't have parents."

"Who cares for them?" Lilly asked.

"It was under Liam, but since he left, it has been my responsibility," He informed her.

"Have you seen them?"

"No I looked but Liam had no paper work on them or anything an I don't know where they are they don't sleep in any dens and keep their links off," He said quickly she could hear the frustration in his voice.

Pausing Lilly looked at the pup now licking the hip bone clean, "Pup," she said.

"Yes Luna?" It answered, she could see the fear in its eyes making her whine in reflex.

"Where do you sleep? Where is your den?" She watched the pup squirm under her intense stare, she told Mason the location.

It did not take long until Mason found the other four pups, the youngest being a seven year old girl. They informed Mason in between bites, as he had brought jerky and water, that Liam had told them to fend for themselves. That their parents had not survived the battle and they were of week blood. Lilly's heart hurt hearing what they had been told, and it was all she could do not to hunt the wolf down. He said that to pups he was in charge of providing for.

Walking back into her den, she found Lucy drawing with markers along the wall. Her mother was in the kitchen, cooking what smelled like plum and deer. "It keeps her quite please dont stop her," The female said her eyes pleading Lilly."I dont know how one child can drive me as insane as that one...I need just a little quite," Nodding in her direction Lilly walked past the pup and into the back bedroom where the Alpha slept.

He was currently sitting at his desk looking over something. Dressed in a simple white tank and jeans that looked like they had been through hell and back. She found herself inspecting the thick muscles that were corded through his back. Her alpha was definitely strong. Naturally larger and stronger than other wolves, all alphas were strong but what she liked most, was his soft heart. A good Alpha was kind when he needed to be and harsh when the time called for him to be. Never one to jump to conclusions and put his pack at risk for his betterment but one to sacrifice for his packs good and welfare. And she had seen that part of him many times.

"Alpha?"

"Yes Lilly" He answered turning to watch her his arms crossed in relaxation as he leaned back onto the desk.

"I want the pups" She told him straining her back and holding her head high looking him in the eyes. Alpha to Alpha.

"Ok" he said a small smile evident on his face.

"Ok?" she questioned him. While she knew he would allow her almost anything she did expect a small fight over this request.

"Yes OK....welcome to motherhood." he said with a laugh.