Chapter 4

"Some birds are not meant to be caged, that's all. Their feathers are too bright, their songs too sweet and wild. So you let them go, or when you open the cage to feed them they somehow fly out past you. And the part of you that knows it was wrong to imprison them in the first place rejoices, but still, the place where you live is that much more drab and empty for their departure."   Stephen King

Eric****

She slept  two days before waking up, howling she flung herself against the concrete walls in a mad attempt to escape. I had placed her in what appeared to be an old war prison courtyard, thirty feet deep and walls of pure concrete it would hold any wolf. The door that opened into it was solid steel and locked from the inside. A small hut was inside it and was about a square acre of land, overgrown weeds made it almost like a field with a small pond in the middle for water.

We found it had held prisoners' of war for the English in WW2. Complete with bomb proof bunkers a small hospital the prison and a huge industrial kitchen it was perfect. The grounds were over grown with sweet grass and covered in pines making it quite beautiful. Most of the bunkers were also covered in blue and pink morning glories and honey suckle. All in all I was happy my pack now had a place to live. The only problem was my Luna...

"You should have left her Eric" my little sister said as she stood with me looking down into the Concrete prison. Her Black fur now dull and worn and eyes half crazed as she looked for a way to escape.

"I only had the best intentions I need a Luna Allie how am I supposed to have one if I refuse to be in the wars over them, she landed in my lap" I argued with her but mostly with myself trying to make an excuse for my actions.

"Hell is paved with good intentions but if this is how you treat her you are no better that the other alphas brother. Remember why this pack decided to leave the world to come into the back woods of Canada, it was because you were kind, fair and most of all caring, you put others happiness before yourself." With that she turned around and left leaving me to decide what to do with the Luna.

As the day progressed my pack moved into the camp, polishing old wood desks and tables and cleaning the grounds out and burning the plants that had made it into the bunkers. The place was starting to look like home slowly but surely. Someone had also found a bunker full of thousands of MREs and canned food and a lot of alcohol. Relaxing the pack now sat around a bonfire eating MREs and telling story's while I sat alone on the edge of the concrete prison that held my Luna. 

Lilly****

She woke to find herself back in the form she knew and not the strange weak body she had been forced to take, her fur wet and clumped she slowly sat up to look around. There seemed to be walls that ran straight up all around her boxing her in like prey. Scared she ran straight at one wall and tried jumping it only to find herself unable to escape. 

Panicking she howled for her pack to come and help her as she ran at the walls and shouldered into them as had as possible to try and break through. After several hours she finally was exhausted and laid down in the weeds and started to groom her fur licking out the burs and stickers carefully.

A high pitched scraping sound pierced the air making Lilly cringe and turn to see a small animal carefully approaching her. Growling her laid her ears back and bared her teeth warning the animal to back up. Instead it sat down and watched her as if waiting for her to do something. Huffing she turned to face the animal and growled again only to see it scoot closer. Backing up she growled again and snapped at the air threatening it trying to make it leave.

Then the smell of deer meat met her nose making her belly growl. The animal brought its paw up and tossed a piece of meat at her, landing right in front of her she sniffed at it. Scarfing it up quickly she watched the animal closely as it backed up and started to lay down. She watched as the animal slowly found sleep in the grass and started making some strange noise with its nose and throat. Curious she slowly crept towards it sniffing at the air for any danger finding none. The closer she got the more the animals scent affected her. The scent was something close to sweet grass and definitely a male scent making her whine softly. The animal did not look like a wolf yet smelled like one confusing her as she sniffed at its head. It rolled over making her jump and run a few yards off as she watched it stretch and start making the strange noise again.

Curling up in a ball as far from it as possible she fought sleep as long as possible until her body forced her to sleep.