Chapter 18

"War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things: the decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling which thinks that nothing is worth a war, is much worse. When a people are used as mere human instruments for firing cannon or thrusting bayonets, in the service and for the selfish purposes of a master, such war degrades a people. A war to protect other human beings against tyrannical injustice; a war to give victory to their own ideas of right and good, and which is their own war, carried on for an honest purpose by their free choice, — is often the means of their regeneration. A man who has nothing which he is willing to fight for, nothing which he cares more about than he does about his personal safety, is a miserable creature who has no chance of being free, unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself. As long as justice and injustice have not terminated their ever-renewing fight for ascendancy in the affairs of mankind, human beings must be willing, when need is, to do battle for the one against the other."~ John Stuart Mill

The sky's darkened as the pack moved in. Their paws swiftly touching the ground then lifting off again their bodies almost flying as they ran noses out, tails streaming behind them like personal banners of war. The only sound was that of the leaves and pine needles crunching beneath them. The air of the forest was still as nature held its breath waiting to see the outcome however bloody, and it would rain blood today.

As they reached the small valley Lilly snarled as the Red Lunar pack stood stood in formation glaring at her their eyes watching their alpha waiting for orders. Morte Lilly snarled the pack shaking from their desire to tear into him themselves. He stood in utter confidence still in his human form his bare chest pale in the moonlight. The scars running in every direction a road map of his hard life and his will to survive at all costs.
"Well I suppose you will challenge me to alpha to alpha combat and while that sounds wonderfully entertaining I regretfully must decline" Morte drawled a thick rolling southern accent hailing from Georgia loud enough for both packs to hear. Stepping back into his pack he let himself wander further from the front line where Lilly and Erick stood their wolf forms bristled and snarling. Snapping his fingers the Red Lunar pack attacked.
Lilly and Erick worked as a team grabbing the largest wolf they could together Lilly clamping down on the back of his thigh feeling his hot thick blood slide down her throat. Erick biting down on the wolves neck till he could feel bone crunch in his mouth and the wolf stopped struggling. A sharp yipp causing him to turn as a Lilly was knocked over a large black wolf snapping his fangs in her face as she used her paws to push him off her. Snarling Erick jumped onto his back using his weight to pull the wolf down Lilly scrambling out from under him and tearing into his belly his entrails streaming out hot and pink on the silvery grass under them. Lilly's once white muzzle and paws now bright red. Turning they fought in tandem their pack covering their backs as they carved a path to Morte together.
A sharp howl sounded in the distance causing a short pause and the sound of thundering paws of even more wolves crashed into the fight now full swing. Tiered and worn they pushed on the sound of their packs snarling and yelping in pain driving them on even harder as fresh wolves joined the fight on Morte's side.
Morte stood tall on a large stump looking out over the battle a curve of his lip indicating it was going according to his plan. Lilly catching his eye growled her fur bristling even more as he blew her a short kiss and winked.
Leaping Lilly took him by surprise and knocked him on his ass a slight grown the only sound he made. A sharp pain now radiating from her shoulder Lilly looked over to see a long handled knife in the hand of Morte now digging into her. Snapping at him she forced him back and to let go of the knife now dug into her shoulder he now smirking boldly in her face.
"My dear I could take the pain away if you and your pack would surrender" he drawled his eyes saying a completely different story. Snarling at him she jumped at him a second time this time he was ready side stepping her he grabbed the knife embedded in her shoulder and yanked it free causing a loud yelp to pull itself from her as she stumbled to face him again. Her ears now flat on her head she crouched waiting for him to make a move the battle behind them now ignored as they stood there eyes locked. "You are a very beautiful she wolf I can't wait to see what you will look like as my luna" he smiled his eyes reminding her of a cats right before they strike. Snapping her teeth she inched back as he took a step forward. The pain in her shoulder now taking up most of her thoughts as it blazed like fire. She did not want to fight him with that knife if she could avoid it. Laughing he threw the knife into the ground " I will fight you then on your level but don't think when I win I won't punish you" shifting Lilly dove in before he was finished and tore at his legs now becoming his back legs damaging them as they shifted forms. By the time he was finished he was a huge grey wolf with a black muzzle already dripping with saliva as he snarled viciously in her face. Snapping at him in defense she crouched lower her ears still pinned to her head. They now began circling each other looking for the others weaknesses. But they already knew them. She could put almost no weight on her left front leg and every step caused a soft whine to bubble out. He had a weak back end where his tendons and muscles did not shift properly due to Lilly's attack now making it shake and struggle to keep up with the rest of him.
He now pissed swiped a paw at her his claws now catching her face as it dragged down her muzzle. Grabbing it in her jaws she ignored the pain as it bloomed over her face and she realized she could not see out of her right eye. Locking down on his paw she yanked back and shook feeling a successful pop as she pulled his front right leg out of its socket and the shattering of the bones in her jaws forcing the once confident Morte to howl in pain. Letting it go she jumped at him snapping air as she missed her lack of sight on her right side making her vision slightly off. He taking advantage of this grabbed her white ear in and yanked tearing the flesh from her. Howling in agony Lilly backed up her body struggling to keep it up her mind wandering to where Erick was as she called out to him with no response on the pack link. Snarling as he pushed her further and further back walking with a sort of odd hop as he struggled to put weight on all his legs but his front left leg. The world starting to spin Lilly crouched down having to close her eyes or she felt she would pass out felt as he pushed his weight on her his muzzle roaming her neck and bloody face.
The sounds of pains yelps and mournful howls of her pack causing her heart to break as she realized she had failed them. A sharp pain in her neck making her wolf scream a howl out as he bit down beginning the marking process his teeth tearing into her unmercifully. His canines even scraped her bones as her world went dark.

Carsa a small she wolf had been watching the battle unfold hidden under the a large pile of wood that was not yet cut for fire. The sight of the Luna attempting to fight Morte bringing her back to when she had attempted to kill him for his crime. The small mangled form of her pup still in the back of her mind. He kept her alive out of spite a sign that he could do as he pleased and a live warning to all who thought they could get away with disobedience... they couldn't....
Her wolf form scared to the point only small clumps of fur still grew in their red color now dotting her small form curled up as small as she could and out of sight.
The howl of the Luna as she finally passed out bring Carsa back to reality. Her wolf snarling in the back of her mind pushed her out of the pile of wood as they herd the broken howl of the other Alpha somewhere in the thick of the battle howling out for his female. A rage she had not felt in a long time making her world go red as she glared at the smug alpha Morte. A snarl ripped its way from her throat as she flung herself at him knocking him off the Luna. Tearing into his neck she felt his blood gushing into her jaws as she shook her head and yanked at his neck biting down harder and harder ignoring the sound of his snarls and barks of pain till she could feel the gurgling as he began to breath in his own blood.
He was drowning in his own blood his eyes now wild as he tried to get on his feet one last time but his legs failing him as his world went dark. The packs once fighting now still as they looked at the the last female they would've thought over the dead body of Morte.
The other Alpha pushing his way through the now still wolves made his way to the Luna still passed out her soft breathing almost impossible to hear if not for the whine that escaped on every other exhale.
He whined as he nuzzled her softly breathing her in his tail between his legs as he tried to get a response out of her his whines getting louder and louder as he got no sign she was ever going go wake up.
Loud sad mourning howls filled the air as the remaining wolves from their pack sang their sorrow her heart breaking at the sound of their broken hearts. The Red Lunar pack crouched down ears dropping as the weight of their actions finally weighed on them, the sound of the pack mourning their dead making them yip and whine. The sounds of mates crying out for their mate now lost to the world and the cry's from the Red Lunar pack bouncing off the valley walls as the mountains sang their song back their howling only grew louder.

Erick tried not to cry but he could feel the tears welling up in his eyes as he tired to get Lilly to wake up. The sound of her fluttering heart his only reassurance that she was not lost yet. Licking the blood from her face he curled up into her protectively curled over her his weight not on her but pressing into her. The body of Morte under the strange omega she wolf covered in horrendous scars as she watched the mourning of the pack in silence. Joining in on the packs song he cried out to the heavens to bring her back and not let her go.

The packs song was cut short as the sound of their Alphas bark as he jumped up and began licking a now awake Luna whining with every move she made as she tried to get to her feet. Her legs shaking under her as she leaned most of her weight on Erick as he shifted his large form standing tall as he picked her up gingerly cringing as she yelped when he grazed her shoulder. "Lets go home"

Thank you guys so much for reading this story I hope you enjoyed reading it as much as I did writing it and mabye I will write a sequel! This is the first book I have finished on Wattpad and I hope to have many more! Please if you have questions just ask and if you have any grammatical corrections just tell me I am always missing something.... Thank you you have no idea how much this means to me!!!