chapter // one

Spring 2006

Autumn

"I kind of want to be alone right now."

"That's okay, I'll go." Autumn's brother stepped outside her room and asked his dad to play with him while Autumn walked to her bookshelf and brushed some of her book covers with her delicate fingers before she took one out.

Moby Dick, one of her favourite books in the world, laid between her small hands and she smiled.

Even though Autumn was only eleven, she liked books way more then kids her own age.
She could drown in the stories, find peace in herself and after a good story she didn't come out of her room for days because she wanted to go over every detail, trying to mesmorize every quote the main character said.

Apart from books Autumn genuinely hated everything. She didn't have any friends, her twelve-year-old brother annoyed the hell out of her and the only person who truly understood her had died.

All she had left were her mothers books.

***

Summer 2006

The day Autumn met Harry was presumably the best day in her life.

It was a normal day in Augustus in the middle of a summer holiday when Autumn sat on a swing in the middle of the park, reading in a book she had just bought from the old bookstore in her hometown Brighton.

She didn't know someone sat next to her until he cleared his throat.

"What are you reading?" She looked up and immediately met his green eyes. "The art of fiction." Her voice kind of startled him. Her voice was like a broken melody, and he loved it.

She eyed him up and took in his smile, his dimples and his curly hair. "I'm Harry." Autumn just wanted to read, but something about this looks took her interest.
"Autumn."

He chuckled and looked in her light grey eyes. "Tell me Autumn, what is your favourite season?"
"I'm not sure," she responded, but then she shook her head. "I love the fall." They both smiled at each other.

From that moment they were best friends.

***

A/N: this is just the beginning, please bear with me x