chapter // twelve

winter 2014

Autumn

Chris had been in a coma for 26 days, 14 hours and exactly 17 minutes. Almost 27 days with just a slight pulse, machines giving him life support. Autumn's tears were finally gone, for the first time in her life. Dried stains on her shirt, puffy red eyes, white porcelain skin. The doctors told her he would be okay, but Autumn, as pessimistic as she was, only thought of the slight possibility that he might never wake up again. Why? was all she could think of. Why did it have to be him? Why, when everything started falling into place, did it have to have a bad ending?

Harry

He tried to hold her, he tried to care, but Autumn kept shutting him out. She only let him held her hand. Harry tried to be there for her, but she didn't seem to notice his presence. Doctors asked if she was okay, Gemma and Anne came by as much as they could, always asking Harry what had happened, if Autumn had said anything. But he always had the same look on his face, while he shook his head. Autumn hadn't talked in 26 days, 3 hours and exactly 54 minutes. She didn't even looked up it Harry anymore when he came back from the bathroom, or when he had taken a shower. He tried talking to her, hell, he even screamed at her, but she just sat there, still, as if she was the one in the hospital, hooked to all these machines. So Harry had one other option, and after almost 27 days he finally, after talking for hours with louis on the phone, told himself to man up. He went home, only this time he didn't just go home to pack some new clothes, he brought something else with him back to the hospital.

He opened his guitar case with trembling fingers, looking into Autumn's dull eyes. She watched him curiously, and Harry tried to smile at her, but seeing her eyes reminded him of the pain she was going through. He coughed, and then tried to speak without sounding nervous. "Maybe you know this song, maybe you don't, but just know that i wrote this for you a while ago."

Autumn

He strummed on his guitar, his eyes never leaving mine.

I got a heart and I got a soul

Believe me I will use them both

We made a start

Be it a false one, I know

Baby, I don’t want to feel alone

Autumn never really listened to his albums because she always felt her heart ache when she heard his raw voice, so she didn't immediately recognised his song, but instead of trying to remember what song it was, she focused on the lyrics, on his face, his eyelids, his hair, his hands.

So kiss me where I lay down, my hands press to your cheeks

A long way from the playground

I have loved you since we were 16

Long before we both thought the same thing

To be loved, to be in love

All I can do is say that these arms were made for holding you

I wanna love like you made me feel

When we were 16

Now she remembered, she actually listened to this song a couple of times. But wasn't it eighteen instead of sixteen? She was confused, to say the least, but nevertheless she tried to focus on the lyrics again, shutting her head, and most importantly, her heart out. 

So pour me a drink

Oh love, let’s split the night wide open and we’ll see everything

We can live in love in slow motion, motion, motion

So kiss me where I lay down, my hands press to your cheeks

A long way from the playground

I have loved you since we were 16

Long before we both thought the same thing

To be loved and to be in love

And all I can do is say that these arms are made for holding you, ooh

And I wanna love like you made me feel

When we were 16

When we were 16

Oh lord, when we were 16

He finished, and rubbed his head nervously. "I changed some things for the album because i didn't want you to know it was about you, but yeah, this is the original and-" Autumn cut him off, taking his hand, and for the first time in a while she smiled. It wasn't a 'thank you' smile, it was genuine, real, big, her eyes staring right into his. "I loved it, Harry." 

 ++

[not edited]

I apologize for the wait and for this chapter, complete rubbish but i tried right?