chapter // three

spring 2010

Harry

This was the perfect moment to tell Autumn how he felt.

His heart was racing while Harry and Autumn were standing next to the car, waiting for Harry's mom to lock the house. "Are you going to miss me?" She had to laugh when he made a funny face. "Of course I'm going to miss you."

Suddenly Harry didn't know how to breathe properly when her tiny arms found their way around his neck. "I'm going to miss you a lot, Haz." His nickname slipped of her tongue and Harry chuckled, debating with himself if he should tell her or not.

"Autumn?" She looked up to him and he lost himself for a split second, looking in her magnificent eyes.

"I-.." He stumbled over his words. "Yes Harry?" She whispered, her lips centimeters away from his. He could feel her breath on his skin and he blushed.
"I love-" She glanced over his shoulder and he turned away to look at the person that distracted her.

"Wait a minute, Nick." Autumn looked at her boyfriend sweetly. "What did you want to say Haz?"

I focused my view on the breathtaking girl before me. "Nothing, just wanted to ask you what your favourite season was." He smiled his cheeky smile and she signed; it had become their ritual to ask each other about their favourite seasons, ever since Harry learned her name was Autumn.

"You know I hate the fall." After they found the dead man four years ago, Autumn had hated te season she was named after.

Harry made a mental note to change her view on the fall again, maybe he could help her overcoming her phobia when he got back from the XFactor.

"It's time." His mom had just shut the front door and was now walking to the car. "I'm so sorry Harry, I wish I could be there but you know Nick and I had a date planned..." Harry signed. "It's fine."

'Fine' had been his answer to everything lately;

"Would you like to go on a double date with Rue, Nick and me (and watching Nick and the girl he loves kiss 24/7)?"
Fine.
"Do you mind if I go with Nick to the dance (something we had planned for two years now)?"
Fine.
"Mind if Nick comes along (even if it's our Movie Monday)?"
Fine.

"Make sure you win this thing ok?"
Harry smiled and Autumn kissed him on the cheek. "Only if you promise me you will send your books to a publisher."

"I will." Her smile reached her eyes and Harry wondered if she smiled like that with Nick.

"Love you." I hated the fact that those words meant so much to me, I hated the fact that they meant something else to them and I hated the fact that she said the exact same words to someone else. "I love you more."

"Bye Harry." Nick waved awkwardly and Harry tried to smile to him. Nick and Harry never had a good connection and Autumn told Harry it was his fault because he didn't open up to Nick. Harry wished he could tell Autumn the real reason why he didn't like Nick.

Harry and his mom stepped into the car and Autumn stood there, watching her best friend disappear into the horizon.

Harry wondered if Autumn knew how much she meant to him. "I love you, Autumn."

autumn 2010

"Good job mate!" Louis, his new best friend, grabbed Harry by the shoulder and shook him. "We're through to the finals!" With a last kiss on the cheek, something the boys did when they were ecstatic, Louis said goodbye and shut the door. Harry was alone now, alone in his bedroom in the campus on the X-Factor. He couldn't believe what had just happened; they did it! 

He debated on calling his mom, or his sister, but when he scrolled down his contacts he saw a familiar name pop up. Autumn. What could go wrong, he thought, she could be mad at him for not calling but she would understand eventually, Autumn always understood. 

The phone ringed, and Autumn picked it up without looking at the caller ID. "Hello, Autumn speaking." Harry could hear a soft murmur and then a man's voice. "Are you coming to bed, Autumn?" He immediately recognized Nick's voice. "I'll be there in a second." Autumn's soft voice filled his ears and for a moment he just listened to her irregular breaths. "Hello?" 

Without saying anything he hang up. Maybe he would celebrate the news some other time, he told himself. When he lay in bed that night, all he could think about were her silver eyes, watching him from a distance, waiting until the darkness would take over his thoughts.

***

A/N: tried to write a good chapter haha, comment/vote please! :)