A Small Change in History

A sleeping baby whose head was full of tiny strands of dark red hair was placed gently into the arms of Sirius Black. The baby girl stirred slightly but was not aroused from her peaceful slumber and continued to dream.

"Please watch over her, Sirius." Her mother said before placing one last kiss upon her baby's head and stroking her cheek. Her mother's green eyes were full of compassion and love for her child, yet sadness was also present in them. She felt a slight twinge of guilt knowing that her two children would have to grow up not knowing each other, but it was the safest thing for them both. It broke the mother's heart knowing that the two were only together for such a short time. A year and a couple months were most definitely not enough, but they have already been greedy with their time.

Sirius, looking down at the child, already felt a connection with her, but their bond was not truly formed until the baby's own pair of green eyes would open. The same green eyes that she shared with not only her mother but also with her twin brother, who was back in his crib in Godric's Hallow with their father.

"Don't worry, I'll take care of her." Sirius broke his eye contact with the child to look at the woman standing in front of him. "I can promise you that." He swore to not only his greatest friend's wife, but also to one of his own best friends that he would keep their daughter safe.

The mother thanked him once more and gave her only daughter one more look before leaving without another word being said. Unknowingly, it would be the last time the two would be together and the last time the baby would have the surname of 'Potter'.

The second the crack of the apparition was made, the baby's eyes snapped open and started to cry. Children always have that sixth sense about the true personalities of people and/or situations, and this child knew immediately something was different.

"Shh," Sirius cooed. "You're in good hands, darling."

And she was until Sirius was framed for betraying his friends by who he thought was a good man and close friend and was incarcerated in Azkaban for twelve years.

Albus Dumbledore and Minerva McGonagall oversaw finding the child a new home. Doing anything possible before having to resort to their least favorite possibility, placing the child into a muggle foster home.

They asked a few wizarding families to taking the abandoned child in without telling them of her origins, but unfortunately, almost every single one had denied, just because the child was in the care of Sirius Black for only a few months or refused to keep the dark secrets that the child had already collected in her young life. Most of the families turned the two and the child away before they could even knock on the door.

Once the two professors reached the Weasleys, they gladly opened their arms to yet another child. Molly and Arthur Weasley would never turn away a child in need, no matter the secrets. And they had known the girl's parents quite well and were very fond of them. So, this child was now their eighth due to their own daughter, Ginevra, being born only a couple months before.

So, the child grew up surrounded by magic. There was never moment in the Burrow that magic was not used during, even if it was just the pots and pans being washed or when a sweater was being knitted. And the magic only grew once the kids started receiving their letters to Hogwarts.

Arthur and Molly told their kids, counting the abandoned child as their own, as much as they could about her: Her last name was not originally Black, and that she had no blood relations to the Black nor the Malfoy families. That she did not come from a muggle nor a pureblood family, that she was indeed a half blood, and that they did know where she truly came from but would not tell her until she was ready.

And Violet Black was ready the day she made it snow in the kitchen because of Fred stealing the last piece of bacon from her plate when she was five years old, but time and just the overall kindness of the world was not on her side.