Hexes and Dried Blood

So, the term was off to a great start thanks to Ron and Harry thinking that it was a brilliant idea to fly to Hogwarts in the car that Arthur had bewitched, along with Ron receiving a Howler from Molly the very next day. Harry and Violet's ears were ringing for hours afterward. Even though, the boys most definitely deserved the screaming letter, they could have at least warned Violet who wasn't paying any mind to when it was delivered and didn't cover her ears in time. She was still somewhat dazed about the conversation she shared with Hermione on the Hogwarts Express.

"Oi!" Violet cried out as she rubbed her ears. "You could have warned me!"

Ron rolled his eyes at her reaction, "I'm sorry you were lost in your thoughts! I was too busy being embarrassed!"

Violet just scrunched her nose at him and went back to twirling her spoon in her porridge that she really did not want to eat as Hermione took her attention way from her book long enough to lean into Violet's side and place her chin on Violet's shoulder, and teased, "Whatcha thinking about? Or should I say 'who' are you thinking about?"

Violet was the one to roll her eyes this time and shook Hermione off but still had a smile to show she wasn't that bothered by Hermione's comment, "Shove off, Granger."

The start of the quartet's second year academic wise was going okay, well with the exception of Ron whose wand was only being held together with Spello-tape. They had successfully planted baby mandrakes with only one person in the class fainting (poor Neville). The girls had also been able to transfigure a handful of beetles into buttons while all Ron and Harry managed to do was chase after and even crush one of their beetles.

Lockhart had even managed to start of the term with everyone hating him or making a joke about him besides the girls who were ridiculously infatuated with him. The first Defense Against the Dark Arts class started with Lockhart handing out a quiz that was definitely the most ludicrous thing all the students had ever seen, it was all about Lockhart and the things he liked. What was his favorite color (Violet immediately told Fred never to call her 'Lilac' again since apparently it was Lockhart's favorite color)? What was the best thing to give him for Christmas? There were over 50 questions on that quiz and every question Violet answered the more she wanted to crumple it up and throw it at Lockhart's head.

Violet had just rolled her eyes and huffed when Lockhart announced that Hermione got the highest marks, and it wasn't much of a surprise. Hermione has had her nose stuck in one of Lockhart's books from the exact second she bought all of them from Flourish and Botts.

Lockhart had just awarded Gryffindor ten points before he leaned down behind his desk to pull out a large cage with a maroon cape over it, "Now- be warned! It is my job to arm you against the foulest creatures known to wizardkind! You may find yourselves facing your worst fears in this room. Know only that no harm can befall you whilst I am here. All I ask is that you remain calm."

Harry and Violet shared a look as they leaned forward and around the tower of books they both had placed on their desks. Lockhart placed a hand on the cover. Dean and Seamus had stopped laughing now as Ron's interest had also been peaked. Neville was cowering in his front row seat.

"I must ask you not to scream," said Lockhart in a low voice. "It might provoke them." 

As the whole class held its breath, Lockhart whipped off the cover. The sight in front of all the second year Gryffindors and Slytherins was enough to make Seamus Finnigan howl in laughter.

"Cornish pixies?" Violet blurted out in disbelief.

"Freshly caught Cornish pixies," Lockhart's added information even put a smile on even the thickest of Slytherins. Seamus was still chuckling as Lockhart continued, "Laugh if you will, Mr. Finnegan... but pixies can be devilishly tricky little blighters.