XI. Bewildering Happenstance

Yay, longer chapter! I got excited writing the last one so the ideas for this chapter were overflowing! My fingers haven't had this much exercise in a while, no pun intended. KIDDING! It's probably the vanilla iced coffee I just had from McDonalds! XD

[Disclaimer: I don't own any of the characters from ABC's hit show, ONCE UPON A TIME.]

"Emma?" Another familiar voice called out her name. Emma stopped crying, wiped her tears away and looked up to meet her friend in the eyes. Belle knew that something had gone terribly wrong. She knew that her best friend didn't show any weakness, especially in public. She knew that Emma's a very strong person and seldom cried, unless it's death related regarding someone close. "Ems, what's wrong?"

Emma's nose flared, as she whimpered and was unable to cease it. Belle kneeled down in front of Emma and met her in position. She gave her best friend a comforting hug. It helped Emma a bit, but it still was not the same. Belle is not Regina. The two friends embraced for a few minutes until Emma calmed down. After they pulled apart, Emma wiped her nose with her sleeve.

"Here," Belle said, handing Emma a handkerchief she pulled out from her pocket.

Emma hesitated for a moment before she accepted it. She noticed the handkerchief had swan patterns on it. "This hanky looks familiar." Emma finally said after careful examination.

The brunette giggled and gave Emma an affirmative smile. "You don't remember? You gave it to me."

"Huh... when?"

"When we first met, silly. Don't you remember? It was fourth grade and I was being bullied, because I wore glasses with thick frames and you saved me. You actually beat up those little jerks and right after, you handed me your hanky."

"Oh, wow. That was a long time ago. You remembered all of that?"

"Of course," Belle said with pride. She smiled and looked up at a painting of Monet on the wall above Emma's head as she reminisced of their childhood past. "What kind of best friend would I be if I didn't remember special moments like that?"

Emma's forehead crinkled. "Oh," she replies. Her eyes widened as she too recalled the past event. "Yes, I remember. I remember it all clearly. Your glasses made your eyes bug out. I didn't say anything back then, 'cause I never really thought about it until now." Emma chuckled. "They we're so ridiculous. Who wouldn't make fun of you?"

Belle was taken aback by Emma's unrestrained comment, but playfully returned the sarcasm. "You only made friends with me, because I was the only one willing to help you with homework." Belle smirked with vindication, proud at herself for being sagaciously insightful even at an early age. "Also, I made friends with you, because I knew I'd always have backup."

"Hah-hah," Emma sneered as she rolled her eyes.

The playful banter the two friend's exchange was enough for Emma to relinquish the negativity that was engulfing her mind before. It was sort of like a metamorphosis of emotion, but cut short when pulled back to reality.

Belle knew that by not permitting Emma to vent her feelings out, she would choose the only option she'd been far too familiar with; run. She gave Emma a concerned look, serious enough to let her friend perceive her intention. "So, what's this all about, Ems? I know that if we don't talk about it now, we'll never have the chance to talk about it again."

Emma took a deep breath and sighed. Her hands had been sweating since the unfortunate situation she was put in before. She gave her best friend a sorrowful look. Her puffy eyes emphasized the dread she had been feeling. "Profess-Regina, doesn't want me." She looked away, frightened to witness a look of judgment on her friend's face.