Chapter 21 - The Leaves

Grace, Peter, Sirius and James returned to the Common Room to find Remus sitting on one of the couches, waiting for them.

"Did you get what you needed?"

"Sure did!" Peter replied, holding up the jar of Mandrake leaves they had stolen the potions classroom.

"And you'll never guess who happened to be in the potions classroom," Grace said to Remus as she plonked herself beside him on the couch.

"Ella?"

"Nope, the other one I don't like."

"Professor Eischeid?" Remus sat up when Grace nodded. "No way! Oh, that's hilarious. Did you talk to her?"

"Sadly. The others wanted me to be the distraction so that they could get in. Not that Eischeid would even notice a door opening and closing by itself."

"True," Sirius added, joining the pair on the couch.

"It was so awkward, though," Grace sighed. "I asked her a question about Dittany - you know, the plant used in all of those healing potions and what-not - and she couldn't answer it! I don't know why Dumbledore employed her. I've learnt more about Herbology from the book I'm reading, and it's not even about the subject!"

"She's certainly a strange one," James commented, sitting on the floor in front of the couch. "She told me to leave the classroom the other day because I wasn't concentrating enough. Apparently being outside of the room where I can't even hear what she's saying is supposed to help me focus more. Makes no sense at all."

"Enough about how nonsensical Eischeid is, when are we going to do this leaf thing?" Sirius interrupted. "Because didn't you say it we have to keep it in our mouths for two months or something?"

"Two months!?" Peter cried. "I thought you said two days not two months! How am I supposed to keep a leaf in my mouth for two months!? How am I supposed to eat, or drink, or-"

"Calm down, Wormtail. It's only one month," Grace corrected him. "And I'm sure you'll get used it. You'll just have to learn how to chew with only one side of your mouth or something."

"Are you sure you guys still want to go ahead with all this?" Remus asked, concerned. "I mean, it seems like an awful amount of effort and I don't think it's worth it-"

Remus went quite when Grace glared at him. "It is so going to be worth it, Remus. If we by doing this we stop you from tearing yourself apart just a little bit less each month, then it is absolutely worth it. To me at least," she added, turning to the others who all nodded in agreement.

Remus laid his head down on Grace's shoulder and wrapped his arms around her in the best side-hug he could do from his position beside her on the couch. "Thank you. Thank you so much."

Grace smiled and immediately returned the hug, trying her best to ignore the feelings that arose in her stomach again. She didn't have to for long, however, because another pair of arms wrapped around the pair, and then another, and another, and Grace was suddenly suffocating under a pile of James, Peter and Sirius who had decided they were missing out on a heartfelt moment and wanted to join in.

"Yep, thanks guys," Remus choked out from underneath them all.

"Anytime, Moony," James replied from the top of the pile.

There was more silence until Peter's stomach rumbled. "Uh, can we go to dinner now?"

"Sure thing, Worms."

---

In the end, they decided to begin their one month of keeping a Mandrake leaf in their mouth one week before school finished, so that the end was perfectly timed with their group visit to the Potter's house during the school holidays.

"Do you all remember what you have to do?" Grace asked.

"Yes Professor Thorne!" James, Sirius and Peter replied in unison.

"What's the incantation?"

"Amato Animo Animato Animagus!"

"How often do you have to say it?"

"Everyday!"

"And when can you take the leaf out?"

"In a month!"

"I've taught you well," Grace commented from her position standing on top of James' bed, with James, Peter and Sirius in front of her.

They were inside the Gryffindor boy's dormitory whilst Remus was outside with Lily, Abbey, Sam and Ely.

Grace then got out the Mandrake leaf jar from the chest of drawers, opened the lid and held it out to the boys. One by one, they each reached into the jar and grabbed a leaf, before Grace did so herself.

"Okay. Three... two... one..."

They all put the leaves into their mouths and immediately screwed up their faces. The taste wasn't the problem however, it was the texture. They were thick and rubbery in a way that was extremely unpleasant.

"We have to keep these things in our mouths for a whole month?" Sirius exclaimed with some difficulty, as the leaf was getting in the way of his tongue.

"Sure do," Grace replied, grimacing.

---

My brother's currently at a sleepover so I literally stole his laptop to write.
Also I realised that I forgot to post this chapter on wattpad but i did it on quotev WHOOPS SORRY
So that means y'all get a double update.
-Grace