Chapter 24 - The Disagreements

James, Sirius, Grace and Peter spent the rest of their time at Potter Mansion trying to successfully turn into their Animagus forms, but none of them had much luck. All they managed were a few minor semi-transformations: James grew half an antler from his head, Sirius' teeth became more pointed, Peter swore that his arm had gotten hairier (although there was some debate over whether it actually had), and Grace managed to recreate her tail on one occasion.

It was all becoming rather frustrating.

By the time their week at the Potters' had drawn to a close, none of them had even gotten close to a complete transformation.

For the rest of the school holidays, Grace spent most of her time in the forest behind her grandparents' house, trying again and again to transform into a mountain lion, whilst Remus sat on a rock behind her, watching her or reading a book.

They had even gone into town together to go to the local library to find if any of their Animagus books had any tips or different methods. The town was mostly a muggle town, however the owner of the library was a witch, so there was an extensive collection of wizarding books out the back. If you discreetly showed the woman your wand, she would take to the room.

With these new tips in her mind, Grace returned to the forest and tried again, and managed to grow a pair of fluffy brown ears, causing Remus to shriek and drop his book. She immediately sent an owl to the others about her findings.

When they boarded the Hogwarts Express for yet another year, none of them were any closer to their goal.

Grace arrived at the station with her parents half an hour early because Dumbledore had asked her parents, as teachers of the school, to help the first years find their way to the platform, as it was particularly hard for muggleborn families.

They dropped Grace off on Platform 9 ¾ before heading back out to Kings Cross Station, leaving Grace alone on the platform, waiting for one of her friends to come through.

The first to do so was a very unhappy looking Sirius, with his parents and brother in tow.

"You better step it up this year, boy, or I'm kicking you out of the family."

"Please do."

"I'm not joking, Sirius. You know I'll do it. You've caused this family a lot of trouble, being sorted into Gryffindor, speaking out against-"

"Merlins beard, just disown me and get it over and done wi- oh, hey Fel," Sirius smiled as he saw his friend ahead.

"Hey... Pads," Grace replied warily, glancing at the angry looking parents behind him.

"Bye mum, by dad. I'll miss you," he said dryly, waving them good bye, as they turned and left. Sirius' younger brother, Regulus came up behind him.

"Look, I'm sorry about them but maybe if you just behaved a little bit more like a Black they'd-"

"But I don't want to be a Black, Reg. When will you understand that?" Sirius scowled. "I mean it's all well for you, being the perfect Slytherin son, going along with everything they say, but I just can't do that, okay?"

"Bye Sirius," Regulus said, before getting on the train.

"It'll never cease to amaze me how different you are from the rest of your family," Grace commented once Regulus had left.

"Not all the family's like that, though. I've told you about my cousin Andromeda, haven't I?" Sirius asked her.

"The one that got disowned because she married a muggleborn?"

"That's her. And Reggie's a good kid, too. He just doesn't want to cause any trouble, he just wants to please everybody, but deep down I know he doesn't agree with their views. Or at least I hope he doesn't," Sirius explained. "And Sam didn't turn out all that bad either, did he? Being sorted into Hufflepuff actually did him some good. Although technically speaking he's actually my second or third cousin or something like that. His family is a lot more tolerant than mine."

"Hello, Black, Thorne," Severus Snape greeted them as he walked up beside them.

"Um, hey Severus," Grace replied, whilst Sirius just sent the Slytherin boy a glare.

"I couldn't help but notice your wonderful family meeting in the middle of the platform earlier. I see that you're still adamant on getting yourself disowned, just like that cousin of yours that went off the rails," Severus said, causing Sirius to go red in the face.

"She didn't go off the rails. She's the only other one in the family who has a brain."

"Well, that's not what everyone's saying. They're saying that she's gone crazy, that she's-"

"Severus," Grace exclaimed, stepping between them. "Maybe we should wait for the others on the train, Pads."

"That might be a good idea," Sirius concluded, following Grace onto the train.

---

Short and kind of a filler, but it's leading up to other things I promise.
- Grace (is this the shortest a/n i've ever written?)