Chapter 26 - The Gash

James didn't waste any time in explaining before dropping the map and bolting out of the room, a slightly confused Grace and Peter behind him. She had never seen James so panicked, so whatever it was must've been serious.

"Why's Snape always so desperate to know what we're up to?" Sirius had asked James. "You know, I reckon we should just push him through the Whomping Willow next full moon and let him see firsthand. That'd teach that greasy haired git to keep his nose out of our business, surely."

It had sounded like a joke. James didn't believe he'd really do it – it wasn't the first time that one of them had joked about doing cruel things to Snape, things they'd never dream of doing.

The three of them ran through the halls, completely ignoring a prefect who tried to yell at them. By the time they had left the castle, Sirius and Snape were gone, having already entered through the tunnel under the tree. James powered forward, Grace and Peter – the less athletic members of the group – lagged behind, but still kept going.

By now, Grace had been able to piece together what was happening, and she knew that if someone didn't get down there soon, they were going to be in a whole lot more trouble.

Ahead of them, James ducked under the Whomping Willow, tapped the knot in the roots with his wand, before entering through the tunnel beneath the now frozen tree.

Grace and Peter kept running, reaching the bottom of the tree as James came out again, a worn Severus Snape leaning on his shoulder. A large gash was visible through the hole in his white shirt, now soaked with blood.

"I just thought-"came Sirius' voice as too he exited the tree, his head hung low.

"Don't," was all James said, but it was enough to shut him up.

Grace and Peter immediately rushed over to James, helping him carry Snape to the castle. Peter pulled out his wand, pointed it at the gash on the Slytherin boy's chest and muttered "Vulnera Sanentur," causing the gash to close up a bit. If there was one thing that Peter was good at, it was healing spells, since his mother worked as a nurse at St Mungo's.

Together, James, Grace and Peter were able to help Severus up to the castle quite quickly. He hadn't said a word yet, only the occasional groans when he tripped up on a rock or lump in the ground. Once they reached the castle, they helped him up the stairs towards the Hospital Wing, where Madam Pomfrey could have a better look at him.

"Merlins beard, what are you four doing here at this hour? I said you could- Oh my, Mister Snape," Madam Pomfrey stopped once she saw that there was another boy amongst them, covered in blood. "Oh yes, bring him over here at once."

They didn't hesitate to carry him to the nearest bed and help him onto it, worried that he might pass out any minute. He had lost a decent amount of blood and was beginning to look quite pale, and was no doubt still in shock from what had just transpired.

Madam Pomfrey immediately set to work, cleaning up the blood and completely healing over the gash. "What happened?"

"He... He was attacked by the Whomping Willow and ended up with a huge gash on his chest," Grace said, immediately. After spending so much time around Remus, coming up with excuses had become second nature for her. "Peter managed to close it up mostly with a healing spell."

"Well Peter, I must say, you've done a mighty good job."

"Uh, thanks, Madam."

"Well boys," Madam Pomfrey sighed, causing Grace to clear her throat. "And Grace. I'm going to have to keep him here over night, just to be sure."

"Bye Madam Pomfrey," they all called drearily, making for the door.

"And I'll see you in the morning, Grace?"

"Yes, of course," she replied, before closing the door behind them.

Now that they were out in the corridor, away from Madam Pomfrey and Snape, James turned to Sirius, grabbed his shirt and pushed him against the wall.

"What the hell did you think you were doing?!" he roared, causing Sirius to flinch. "You could've gotten him killed! And what about Remus, huh? Did you think about how hard this is going to be on him!? Knowing what happened to Severus!?"

"I didn't mean for him to get hurt, I just wanted to-" Sirius was cut off by James.

"Well he did get hurt. You went too far Sirius, way too far," James concluded, letting go of his shirt and storming down the corridor, leaving Grace and Peter still standing silently in front of Sirius.

"Good luck apologising to him. And Remus. I don't..." Grace began, but trailed off, looking at Peter for help. "Just, make it up to them, okay?"

Sirius just continued to stare at the floor, unmoving, so Grace and Peter followed James' lead and headed back to their dormitory. It was so late by now that even the Prefects had gone to bed.

Eventually Sirius came back as well, silently entering the boy's dorm and getting into bed.

None of them got much sleep that night.

---

School starts again tomorrow ughghhghgh

That also means that my updates will become less regular. I'm aiming to update weekly, but since it's a new year and stuff I'm not sure how it's going to work. No promises. I'll just try to update as often as I can.

I'd also like to say a HUGE thank you to all of the people who have voted and commented on The Forest. ALL OF YOU.

THANKS

-Grace