Chapter 60 - The Realisation

"I think I know where he is."

They all turned to see an over-sized grey wolf-like creature bounding up the ditch near the Whomping Willow, with what appeared to be a mountain lion and a large black dog running behind it.

"Merlin's- uh, you two should probably get going," Peter exclaimed jumping in front of the window in a feeble attempt to hide the view from Sam and Abbey.

"What on earth...?" Abbey began, not quite sure what to make of the scene she had just witnessed. A lion, a dog and a weird-looking wolf running around on the grounds of Hogwarts, that somehow had something to do with Remus' disappearance?

Abbey's eyes were then drawn to the glowing full moon, high enough in the sky that Peter's figure was not blocking her view of it through the tall window. A full moon means werewolves, which explained the strange features of the large grey wolf she had seen, but...

And then it clicked.

Remus' monthly disappearances, the scars that were littered across his face and arms, why James and Peter had been so desperate to find him.

Remus was a werewolf.

She felt like a complete idiot. How did she not notice it earlier? His nickname is Moony for crying out loud!

She didn't really know how to feel about this revelation, however. All of the werewolves she knew of were crazed, vicious beasts like Fenrir Greyback, very different to the Remus Lupin she knew. And yet somehow, he too was one of those creatures. If he got too close to the castle, close enough to catch the scent of the hundreds of sleeping wizards and witches, then there would be nothing stopping him from acting as any other werewolf would.

But surely Dumbledore knew of these dangers. He seemed to be on top of everything that was going on at Hogwarts, even the gossip. He wouldn't allow a werewolf at Hogwarts if he believed that there was a chance it might go on a rampage throughout the school (although there were many other dangerous things at the school, such as the terrifying Whomping Willow, that Dumbledore seemed unconcerned by).

Most importantly, he was still her friend, no matter how dangerous.

"We need to go," James barked to Peter, heading for the door. "You two should really head upstairs. We don't want to ruin your date or anything."

"What's going on?" Sam asked in a demanding manner, holding a hand to the door to prevent James from opening it.

"We can't tel-"

"We'll explain tomorrow," James promised. "Right now, however, we need to get out there.".

That seemed to be good enough for Sam, because he stepped back from the door. "Good luck."

Abbey and Sam watched as James and Peter left the castle, only to see a stag with a rat on its back running down the hill through the window. With the help of the lion and the dog, they lead the wolf into the Forbidden Forest and away from the castle.

---

Remus awoke with a start, his eyes snapping open, then immediately slamming shut again when they were flooded with light. He went to raise a hand to rub his eyes only to find that something warm and heavy was preventing him from doing so.

He turned his head to one side, opening his eyes ever so slightly to see a sleeping mountain lion curled up on top of his arm. As carefully as he could, he slid his arm out from underneath her, trying not to wake her up.

Now able to push himself up, Remus looked around the tattered room, surprised to find that all of the others were still asleep. It was rare for him to wake up first, the combined affects of the sickness and exhaustion from running around the night before often made him a heavy sleeper.

Beside him, the lion stirred, flicking her tail and rolling over to face him. Slowly, she pulled herself up before stretching backwards into a downward dog, yawning as she did so, her long feline tong curling upwards. She then shifted back into her human form and sat cross-legged on the ground, stretching her arms upwards.

Blinking a few times, Grace turned to Remus, giving him a small smile when she met his eyes. She then realised that he was still completely naked.

With flaming cheeks, Grace turned away and got up, walking over to the armchair over which a blanket was thrown. She grabbed the blanket and, still averting her eyes, threw the blanket in Remus' direction. He gratefully took it and wrapped it around his lower half before lying back down again. Grace laid down beside him once more, laying her head on his still bare chest.

It was then that the vague images of a cloaked figure, a woman in royal blue robes, crackling bolts flying from wands flashed across his eyes. Were they from a bizarre dream he had had that night?

As the memory of the previous night came flooding back, Remus realised that it had been very real. He had fought off a Death Eater. Albeit, she was obviously not a very experienced one and he had the help of Aiyana Elman, but nonetheless he still fought her and survived unscathed.

"I fought a Death Eater," he said to himself quietly, proud of his achievement.

Grace's eyes fluttered open once more. "Yeah, you did. And it seems that you did a pretty good job of it too."

Remus looked down at Grace, giving her a peck on the lips, before the serenity was broken by a voice calling out "Eww, get a room!"

Grace sat up and turned around to give Peter, who had risen as well, her best death stare.

Peter's announcement woke both James and Sirius, who both shifted back into their human forms before sitting up and groaning.

James then turned to Remus with a serious expression. "Do remember what happened last night?"

Remus simply nodded.

"How much?"

"Everything. I remember leaving the shack, fighting the Death Eater with Aiyana Elman, then she grabbed that woman but those two showed up and she left, and then I... the moon. Then I shifted. Oh gosh, please tell me I didn't hurt anyone."

"You didn't," Grace told him, placing a hand on his shoulder. "We managed to herd you inside the shack."

"Oh, thank Merlin," Remus sighed.

"Someone saw you," Peter blurted out.

All of the colour drained from Remus' face once more.

---

I have four SACs this week that I don't want to do :)

That is all.

- Grace