Chapter 37 - The Discussion

It was Sunday night and James and Grace were walking back to the Gryffindor Common Room after a Quidditch training session. There was an upcoming Gryffindor versus Slytherin match in three weeks' time and their captain had decided to increase the amount of training to make sure there was no way they could lose. Nothing was worse than losing to Slytherin.

As they entered the common room, Grace spotted Sirius, Peter and Remus sitting in the back corner and they headed over. Peter was sat in a large red air chair, with two couches on either side – one with Remus laying across it, fast asleep, and the other with Sirius sitting on one end. James was quick to join him.

Grace looked down at Remus' sleeping figure and smiled sadly. It was the night before a full moon, so he was beginning to feel extremely tired and unwell. In fact, they were all feeling quite tired, having spent the night before roaming around the grounds of Hogwarts instead of sleeping.

"Oi Pads, move over, will you?" James asked, realising there wasn't any room left for Grace. Being a Sunday night, most of the common room was full with students trying to finish off some last minute homework.

"Oh no, don't worry about it. I'll just move this couch-hog over here," Grace assured them, motioning to Remus. She carefully moved his head and raised it just high enough for her to sit underneath, before placing his head back down carefully.

"What is... Grace?"

She obviously hadn't done it carefully enough. "Go back to sleep, Moony."

"Oh, am I in your way?" Remus asked, trying to pull himself up. "Sorry, I didn't realise, I'll move-"

"Remus! It's fine," Grace told him, pulling his head back down. "Just sleep."

Once Remus had closed his eyes again, Peter asked "So, how did Quidditch training go?"

"Yeah, alright. It wasn't too exciting," Grace replied

"Although, you'll never guess who we saw on the way there," James exclaimed.

"Hmm..." Sirius sighed, pretended to be deep in thought. "Who could it possibly be that would make him this excited?"

"I'll give you a clue: I may or may not have asked them to go to the Winter Ball with me for the twentieth time."

"I know!" Sirius gasped. "It's Severus Snape! I don't see why he rejected you again, though, you two would have made such a lovely couple."

"They would have," Grace agreed, laughing as she unconsciously pulled a hand through Remus' hair.

"It was actually Lily Evans, believe it or not," James corrected him. "And I still can't understand how she said no! Again! I even had a rose and everything this time. Maybe she doesn't like roses..."

"Or maybe she just really doesn't like you, Prongs," Peter commented.

"You're right, Wormtail," James agreed. "She doesn't like me – she loves me! She just doesn't know it yet."

Sirius snorted. "Yeah, right."

"Or maybe I should take another girl to the Ball and make her jealou-"

"No!" Sirius, Grace and Peter cut him off in unison. Even the half asleep Remus joined in.

"You're awake," Grace said.

Remus turned his head so that he was looking directly up at her. "I am indeed," he replied with a sniffle.

"We should all go as a group," Peter suggested. "The five of us."

"I would love to, but I've already got a date," Sirius told them, surprising them all. There had been no mention of him even asking anybody.

"Wait, what? Who?" James exclaimed, surprising Grace even more. Sirius hadn't told his best friend?

"It's a surprise," Sirius said with a grin.

"C'mon, at least tell us their name," Grace begged.

"Nope. Not telling."

"House?" Peter asked.

"Still not telling."

James sighed. "What about you, Fel? Got any secret dates you haven't told us about?"

"I don't think so," Grace laughed. But I would really like to go with Remus, she added in her head. In fact, this was a perfect time to do it. All she had to do was say "Well actually, Remus, I was wondering if you'd go with me...?" and be done with it. She just had to open her mouth and say it.

"Well...." She began, but trailed off. Who was she kidding? She couldn't ask him. At least if they went as a group they could go together. "I think we should still go as a group, the four of us, since Sirius has his mystery date."

"Sounds like a plan," Remus agreed.

"So, Grace," James began in a high pitched voice. "Have you got your dress for the ball yet?"

Grace made a gagging sound. "Ugh, don't remind me." It wasn't that Grace didn't like wearing dresses - she did wear them from time to time – but the hassle of finding a dress was exhausting. Ever since the ball was announced a few weeks ago, Gladrag's Wizardwear has been full with students every Hogsmeade trip, trying to find the perfect dress or dress robes. There was no way she was going in there any time soon.

Many students were instead opting order their clothes through the mail or get their parents or other relatives to send something over, which was beginning to feel like the only option. Surely her grandparents could find something for her to wear, although she wasn't sure if she trusted their fashion sense.

---

Hey hey hey. Another chapter.

Also IM LEAVIMG FOR AMERICA NEXT THURSDAY AHHHH. Again, I'm not sure whether I'll be able to update or not for those two weeks - we shall have to just wait and see.

- Grace