Chapter 3

Lucille's POV

Ethan clears his throat and I turn my eyes to the city lights. 

"How are you...?" he stutters. 

"I'm good," I reply, avoiding his gaze.

"I didn't know you knew Cecilia...," he continues. 

"I don't... she's Axel's friend," I whispered Axel's name. 

"Axel, huh? He seems like a nice guy," Ethan says, but I could clearly hear something else in his tone. Disappointment? 

"He is...Cecilia seems like a nice girl too," is all I say. He doesn't respond. 

There is a silence. 

"Luce..." Ethan breaks it.

"I gotta go," I cut him off. I walk past him. He grabs my hand.

"Please, don't go..." he pleads. 

I pull my hand away from his grip and walk away. I could hear him call my name, but I ignore it and continue walking.

Ethan's POV

I sigh in frustration. This was the first time I saw Lucille in a year, but I couldn't even properly talk to her. I miss her... I really do. I close my eyes to remember the past. To remember when I still had her... only to remember the night she left. She left nothing. Not even a goodbye. All she said was that she couldn't do it anymore. She couldn't be with me anymore. With no explanation and no other words, she just walked out of my life. I didn't stop her. I should've stopped her. 

I head back inside to the party. Inside, Lucille stood happily with Axel. Her smile drops when she sees me staring at her, but she quickly smiles again when she looks back to Axel. 

"Hey, where'd you go?" Cecilia asked in worry.

"Just for some air. Sorry..." I say with an apologetic smile. 

"It's okay. They're about to start the countdown. It's about to be a New Year, aren't you excited?" she said with an eager grin.

"Yeah..." I say unsurely as I stare at Lucille from a far distance.

"Hm?" Cecilia tilts her head a little as she looks up at me. 

I look at her and wrap my arm around her shoulders. 

"Yeah, I'm excited. New year, new us, right?"

She grins childishly and leans in closer.

Lucille's POV

Ethan looked happy standing next to Cecilia. We are both where we needed to be... I think. I look away before I stare for too long. 

Everyone started the countdown to the new year. 

10...9...8...7...6

Axel looks at me with a grin and I smile back. 

"I'm happy to be here with you tonight," he says.

"Me too," I reply. 

5...4...3...2...1! 

"HAPPY NEW YEAR!!!!", everyone in the room shouted in excitement and joy. 

Axel leaned into kiss me. I met his lips halfway and smashed my lips against his. I tightened my arms around in his embrace as he did the same, but my eyes could not refrain from looking across the room. In the midst of all the chaos and confetti thrown, my eyes locked with Ethan's. He was hugging Cecilia, but he was looking at me. I hugged Axel tighter, but there was a feeling missing even in this beautiful moment. A feeling I used to have from the boy staring at me from across the room... A feeling that I'm afraid might come back.