Chapter 16

Lucille's POV

"Wow. You're really liking the food at this place," Axel says to me with an amused faced. 

"Hmm?" I say looking up from my plate. Axel is sitting across me with a grin on his face. 

"That pasta does look good," he says. 

I look down at my own plate and realize I am already more than halfway done with the pasta I had ordered. It had only been a minute since they brought out the food. Axel took me to an Italian restaurant close by to our campus after my classes ended. I slowly put my fork down and wipe my face with the napkin realizing how fast I had eaten. 

"Sorry. I didn't get to eat lunch today."

"Here you can have mine. Everything ok?" he says, pushing his plate towards me. 

Of course not. Everything's not ok. 

I nod.

"Yeah. Just a little overwhelmed with the internship and now with school since classes are rolling again."

"Well, don't stress yourself. Whatever it is, you got it. You always do."

He smiles at me and I return one. 

"Remember the first time we came to this place together?"

I did.

I respond with a nod.

"I do," I say.

"God, I was so nervous that day. I was scared you wouldn't like me," he chuckles. 

I stare at him as he talks and that day comes back into my memories. 

Axel and I had come to this exact Italian restaurant for our very first date together. We had sat together in a history course we both took for a general education course. He talked to me first. He was so sweet, and really helped me study for that class because well, I sucked at memorizing and remembering dates. I know that wasn't all that history was about, but I didn't have much interest in it. Axel and I only really talked in class until one day he asked me to hang out. I hadn't thought much about starting another relationship after the events between me and Ethan, but with Axel... I felt good. He made me realize that I still deserved to be happy. He was so good to me, and he is still so good to me yet... why didn't I feel as happy as I should be?

I get out of my trance of thoughts and bring myself back to listening to Axel. 

"... and then you let out a snort. I seriously could not stop laughing that night," he continued with such a happy smile, but I couldn't listen in to any of this anymore knowing the truth. I feel so guilty. I am a horrible person for keeping secrets from him. I needed to tell him soon. He needed to know. Now.

I cut him off.

"Axel."

"Yes?" he says surprised. 

I take a deep breath. I clutch onto my stomach. 

"I--"

Don't do it a voice in my head said. Not yet. Not right now. 

I stare at Axel's smiling face. He looked so happy right now. I couldn't do it. I couldn't break that smile that was sincerely so happy and has been with me all this while. I was too scared too. I barely found out about this baby. It may be too soon to tell the truth. 

"I'm just so happy we could have time together again. It feels like we haven't had this in a long time," I say instead with a smile. 

He just smiles and reaches for my hand across the table. 

"I'm happy too. The time I get to spend with you is all I really need," he says.

I nervously smile at him. 

I look away from him. I couldn't look him in the eyes knowing that I was lying to him. I must have done something wrong in my past life. The situation I was right now between Axel and Ethan felt like a punishment. 

What do I do? I didn't want to hurt Axel, but its already too late for that. 

Ethan's POV

I changed my clothes in the team locker with the rest of my teammates after our baseball practice. Today was a short practice because coach felt that we needed a rest. I felt the same. My head was only filled with thoughts of finding the truth for Lucille. I could barely sleep. I thought of all the possible ways to prove to Lucille that what she thought happened that night in Chicago, didn't. 

"Yo man, the rest of the crew is heading out for some drinks this weekend, you down?" Nick said as he walked up to me, breaking me out of my thoughts. I looked around and realized everyone had already finished and it was just me and Nick left. 

"Um, yeah. Sure," I say putting my uniform into the locker and putting my stuff into my duffel bag. 

"Cool. Talk to you later," he pats his back and am about to walk away, but before he leaves, I remember something from that night in Chicago. Nick was there that night with Bianca in Chicago. He must know something. He could help me find the truth and prove to Lucille about what really happened. 

"Wait, Nick," I shout. 

"Wassup man?" he turns around. 

"Can I ask you a question?"

"Sure thing."

"Well, its Bianca."

"Yea, what about her?"

"Well. You two are dating, right?"

He tilts his head.

"You could call it that. Why do you ask?"

"I just---" 

I wasn't sure how to phrase any of this. I look to the floor to gather my thoughts real quick. 

Nick gives me a confused look when I look up. 

"Well, remember that banquet we held in Chicago after our first major win?"

"Yeah, I do. It was a good night. That's actually where I met Bianca."

"Right. Well, did anything happen between you and Bianca that first night?"

He smirks.

"Of course. Why do you think we're together?" he chuckles. 

"Right, right. And that night.. what about me? I was drunk, right?"

"So drunk. You ended up puking all over my clothes. I had to go to your room to switch out clothes because I lost my hotel room key."

And it all clicked. A small forms on my lips. I found it. This was the truth. Now, I just needed to prove it. Lucille will never believe me unless I do. I need Bianca to say it out loud. 

"So...you stayed in my room?"

"Yeah. Man, you were really messed up that night. All you kept saying was, 'Where's Lucille? Where's my baby, Lucille?' I can't believe you forgot everything. I can't blame you, however. Every newcomer gets the "new boy shots", if you get what I mean. Gotta get the newbies drunk."

"So that night.. you and Bianca did it in my room and you wore my clothes? And I?" I clarified. 

"You probably knocked out in the lounge. I don't know man. Why are you asking about this all of a sudden anyways?"

"It's nothing. I just solved something. Thanks for your help, man. See you tomorrow."

I grab my duffel and head out of the locker room with a smile plastered on my face.

I head out to the crosswalk to get to my car, and am so excited that I cross the crosswalk without checking the streets. Soon, there's a bright light shining towards me and honking noise that gets closer to me. My body freezes. I realize that the car wasn't going to be able to stop in time. I try to run and get out of the way, but before I know it... there is an impact from the car against my body. I fall to the floor and my body felt helpless and in pain. Everything became pitch black. 

No... not yet. I need to get Lucille back.