Chapter 13

Lucille's POV

It has been a week since the launch party of the new magazine. More importantly, it has been a week since Ethan and I last talked. He wanted to find the truth and I wanted him to find it too. I became restless with this back and forth between me and him. I believed that with the truth, we would be able to end this ongoing fight. No matter what happened with the truth, I believed there was no way of turning back to what we had. I have Axel. He has Cecelia. We are both happy where we are. At least I would like to believe so. The truth would only be the scissors to cut the  hanging thread that tried to hold on despite it pulling further and further apart. 

The company was currently in a meeting right now, but without our boss, Jan. Everyone is staring out of our glass window to watch the conversation between Jan and Ethan. I could see Ethan from across the company room standing with his nice build and tall height. He turns to look at the room. Our eyes meet for a split second before he turns his focus back to Jan. He hands her an envelope and takes one more glance at me before he turns his back from her. Jan heads back into the meeting room with the envelope tight in her grip. Everyone has their eyes locked on her as she walks up to the front of the room. She sets the envelope onto the table.

"Good afternoon, everyone. Let's begin the meeting," she says. Everyone prepares their notes as I watch and listen to the meeting. The meeting was a short one. It lasted only an hour compared to their usual meetings that typically lasts around 3-4 hours. Everyone was packing their notes to put away before Jan makes an announcement that makes everyone stop.

"By the way, our wonderful model, Ethan Collins has invited all of us to a home game tonight," she lifts up the envelope and waves the envelope. Everyone gets excited, and begins conversing amongst themselves about the tickets. 

"Since he was so generous, I hope you all make it tonight. Come grab your tickets, everyone," she says. All the staff stand up to go grab their tickets except me. 

"Lucille," she calls my name. I look up to her and make eye contact with her. 

"Yes?"

"You too."

I look surprised, and point to my chest.

"Me?" I mouth.

"Especially you," she says, and then waves the ticket signaling for me to go grab one. I do as she says. I walk up to her and take the ticket from her hand. I stare at the ticket. I've never seen Ethan play a game. Even before everything happened, we were always so busy that I never got the chance to go watch one of his games. 

"You're going, right?" Jan asks. I look up from the ticket. 

"Um..."

I couldn't say no, could I?

"Great!" she says before I could respond.

I guess now I am, I thought.

"I'll see you all there." 

Jan grabs her stuff and leaves the meeting room.

"This is going to be fun. I've never been to a real baseball game before," I hear one of workers say. 

"Lucille," Mike calls me.

I turn to face him.

"You need a ride for the game? A few of the employees are going to carpool together. We could give you a ride."

"I actually don't think--"

"Oh c'mon, Lucille. It'll be fun. You found Ethan for the magazine too. I'm sure he'll want to especially see you there."