Chapter 9

Lucille's POV

I jump on to finding a new model the next day for the sports magazine as soon as Mike told me about the assignment. I couldn't lose the biggest internship I would probably ever get. This is my last chance to prove myself and show Jan that I do deserve to work with the magazine. I send a dozen emails and make a bunch of calls to different agencies and male sports teams. I play the waiting game for their responses when I feel that I have contacted every agency possible. I, however, avoided Ethan's baseball team at all cost, of course. I couldn't work with him or his team. It would mean I would have to be around him, and I couldn't have that happen. This isn't a good time to be surrounding myself with him after the mistake I made with him.

"Lucille, aren't you going to show me around New York?" my mom asks me.

I'm checking my email and pay no attention to what she says. 

"Luce!" she says louder. I turn to her. 

"I'm sorry, mom. I just--- I have this important thing to do."

"Lucille, what's going on? You look stressed." 

She gives a look of concern for me. 

"It's nothing, mom."

"Lucille, tell me...I'm here."

It's been so long since I had a good conversation with her that it made me feel weird to tell her my problems. 

She closes my laptop and makes me face her. 

"Luce..."

"It's just... my internship...they might let me go if I don't do so well on this assignment..." I tell her.

"Honey, stop stressing yourself out like you did in high school. Just take the assignment a step at a time, you will be fine."

In this moment, it felt good to have her here with me in New York. Her motherly words made me feel a little better and relaxed, and I needed it. I really did miss the mother figure in my life. 

"Thanks, mom..."

She smiles as I do the same.

"Where do you want to go today? I will take you," I say.

"Ooh, if you're taking me, then how about somewhere extravagant?" she jokes. I smile and nod my head.

"Why don't we invite Axel to dinner also? I would love to get to know him better."

I agree with her. 

We set out to the city and I show my mother around the popular spots I've been to. We go shopping, eat at ice-cream parlors, and do a lot of sightseeing. The streets are crowded like usual with people rushing like their lives are in jeopardy. Shoulders bump against us as we pass by each pedestrian. I grab onto my mother's arm to keep us from separating. It felt good right now to explore New York with my mother. This is something I always wanted to do, but it never happened. 

"I'm really happy to be here with you, Lucille. I really am," my mother says to me. 

"Me too, mom."

She stops us in the middle of the crowded street and looks right into my eyes.

"Lucille, I want you to know that I didn't mean to hurt our relationship ever. I just wanted to show you how bad Ethan was for you. He only brought pain into your life and I, as your mother, didn't want to see that. I will always be your mother, but a guy like that won't always choose you. I'm happy you were able to realize that on your own. I'm proud of you..."

I plaster on a fake smile and say nothing. 

Yes, Lucille. Your mother is proud of you, so be proud that you left Ethan, too. I tell myself.