Chapter Five : Side Effects

Clary POV

I woke up and it was still dark. I checked the time, five fifteen. Why am I awake at five in the morning!? I rolled out of bed and walked over to my bathroom.

I might as well train. I showered and got my training clothes on. I skipped breakfast, it was too early anyway and I walked slowly to the training room.

When I opened the door I saw Jace sleeping on the sparring mat. He looked so vulnerable and beautiful. I quietly closed the door and walked to the weights.

It was the only quiet thing to do. I got going and started to think about yesterday when I was in the exact spot and kissing Alec Lightwood.

Recap

Alec leaned closer and I closed my eyes. His lips met mine gently at first, then it became more passionate. I pulled back to catch my breath and he pulled me back ,our lips met again. After our "make-out" session. We were breathless, he smiled at me and I smiled back widely.

I was so confused. He walked me back to my room and I stayed in there for the rest of the day. Thinking about Alec and Jace. And how I'm basically cheating on Jace, I mean, we haven't exactly broken up.

I decided to break up with Jace. I've acted like nothing happened this entire time. I'm supposed to be really mad. He cheated on me and didn't even bother to try and explain to me. He's never made a single attempt to speak to me. I am mad. I thought that the feelings that we had for each other were...forever. But I guess not. After all that we've been through together. I loved him with all my heart, I watched him die and when I was given a choice. A choice to get anything in the world i wished for him , only him. I didn't leave him, he would be dead. I'm not asking for anything back. But I didn't ask for him to break my heart either. I'm done.

Present

I became really mad after thinking about it. I looked at Jace and saw that his face was scrunched up, he was shivering and sweating. Nightmares, I wonder what this one is about.

I couldn't care less about his nightmare. I picked up a bunch of knives and swords and walked over to were Jace was asleep.

I dropped the knives next to his head, it fell with a loud clatter. I did that for both him and me. Him, because he's having a nightmare and me because I'm so mad at him right now.

He shot upright with his eyes wide and he looked terrified. He saw me and he shivered and looked away. The way he looked at me, was like a knife through my chest.

I didn't show it. He got up in a swift motion and began to walk towards the door.

"Jace" I said.

He didn't turn around, just kept walking with his head down.

"We're done Jace. Just making it official. If you thought that we could "work things out ", well, we can't. And I'm ending it right here. I'm breaking up with you. I will still live here at the institute. But you and I will never be what we were." I said quickly.

He had stopped halfway through my quick speech.

He turned around and said: " I didn't think we could "work things out". "

I didn't say anything.

" I know you and Alec have something going on Clary" He said slowly.