Chapter 6

"Castiel!" Samandriel calls as soon as the older boy opens the door. "I need help! How do I find the y-intercept?"

Castiel finds his younger brother sitting at the table, his homework in front of him. He wears a blank expression, clearly not understanding what to do at all. Castiel puts down his guitar and sits next to the boy to help. That's the problem with being an older sibling. He's morally obligated to be the homework help. But at least he gets to try to be useful. He already knows he isn't in any other way.

"Sam Sam Sam Sam Sam Sam Sam!" Anna says excitedly, running in the room with her phone out. She shoves it in Samandriel's face, not giving him the chance to read it before saying, "I got fifty in Flappy Bird!"

Samandriel laughs. "Because that's still a cool game. Not."

"But I got fifty!" Anna cheers. "I'm gonna go show Lucifer!"

"Lucifer won't care," Samandriel says. "No one cares about Flappy Bird."

"Yes he will!" Anna protests.

"He will," Castiel agrees. "He cares about every little thing like that."

"Okay, touché," Samandriel agrees. "But anyway, how do I math?"

~~

"Castiel!" Gabriel yells through the phone.

"Yes?" Castiel replies politely.

"I'm sleeping over at the Winchesters' house," Gabriel tells him.

"Okay...?"

"You should come, too," Gabriel says. "Come on! There isn't enough Novak to go around!"

"I'd rather not," Castiel replies.

Gabriel groans. "Stop being difficult!"

"I'm not."

"Yeah, sure, whatever. Can you bring me stuff for the night, though?"

"I don't know where the Winchesters live," Castiel reminds him, more as an excuse than an actual problem.

Gabriel tells him the address. "It's, like, a fifteen minute walk. Come on, please?"

Castiel sighs. "I'll be over in a few minutes."

"Yay! Thank you!" Gabriel hangs up, and Castiel frowns. Maybe he can escape before anyone notices him. Here's hoping.

Castiel shoves stuff Gabriel might need in an old backpack before heading outside, his phone as his GPS. He doesn't know his way around because he's never had a reason to explore the city. He'd rather be alone in his room than outside.

He finally makes it to the Winchesters' house, though it seems more a junkyard than a house. Castiel doesn't question it. It's the address he got. He might as well check.

He walks up to the door and knocks, about to drop the bag on the front steps and leave. Unfortunately, a tall boy opens the door before he can get away. Were they waiting for him?

Gabriel ducks under the tall boy, who Castiel vaguely recognizes as Sam Winchester. Sam was always kinder to Castiel than most people. He never picked on the kid. He'd usually stand up for him on the rare occasion he was given the chance.

"Thanks, Castiel!" Gabriel says, taking the backpack from his brother. He grabs Castiel's arm and drags him inside. "Come on, you're stuck here now."

"Gabriel..."

"Come on, go make friends!" Gabriel instructs him.

"I have homework to do," Castiel replies. Both his and his siblings', who don't understand math.

"You have all weekend!" Gabriel reminds him.

"I have a research paper to write for history," Castiel replies. "That takes time."

"I don't think you have a choice," Sam replies. "Gabriel wants to kidnap you, and he is nothing if not stubborn, so you're kinda stuck here. And I'm in your class. The paper isn't due for another month."

Sam's in his class? Castiel never noticed that. He never really pays any attention to his classmates.

"I want to get a head start on it," Castiel says.

"Too bad," Gabriel replies. "You're stuck here 'til we let you leave."

"Gabriel-"

"You realize Dad only kicked us out of the house because he wanted you to meet new people, right?" Gabriel asks.

Castiel nods. "I'm aware."

"And yet you had a perfect chance talk to Deano, and you didn't. What's up with that?"

Castiel shrugs. He'd rather not insult Dean and his friend group in front of Sam, who is both Dean's brother and best friend.

"Well, Dean's ignoring us cuz he doesn't like me, so go talk to him," Gabriel instruct.

"Dean likes you," Sam protests.

"Debatable," Gabriel replies. "But I don't really care, as long as Castiel goes to talk to him." He smiles up at Castiel innocently.

"Samandriel needs my help at home, so—" Castiel begins, but Gabriel interrupts him.

"Castiel. You are going to talk to Dean. The end. Well, or you can talk to us. Either way."

Castiel sighs. "Where is he?"

"I don't trust you to actually talk to him, so I'll show you," Gabriel replies, then gestures for Castiel to follow him as he and Sam lead the boy to Dean's room. The sound of a guitar flows through the door.

Sam knocks on the door loudly, and the guitar stops. "Hey, Taylor Swift, you have a visitor!"

"I swear to god, if this is for another one of Gabriel's stupid pranks..." Dean calls out.

"No, this is more me being annoying in general," Gabriel replies. "But not to you this time."

"Oh, is it finally Sam's turn?" Dean asks hopefully.

"Even better," Gabriel replies. "Castiel."

"Castiel?"

"You know, Castiel! The kid you saw at the park not even three hours ago?"

"Yeah, I know who Castiel is," Dean replies. "Everyone knows who Castiel is. The quiet kid everyone hates with the sweatshirt and killer guitar skills. What about him?"

"He's here," Gabriel tells him.

Silence. Then, "I may not be friends with the guy, but I know enough about him to know he wouldn't come here."

"I tricked him into it," Gabriel replies. "It's what I do. You know that. But he's here. Right, Castiel?" When Castiel doesn't respond, Gabriel whispers, "Say something."

"Something,"

Gabriel facepalms.

There's a slight shuffling in Dean's room, and then his door opens, revealing the boy himself. His hair is messed up, likely from lying down, and his AC/DC shirt is slightly wrinkled. He's no longer wearing his flannel, and his jeans have been replaced by sweatpants. And yet, he still looks super hot, as always. It's not an opinion, it's a fact. Dean is hot, period, and anyone who says otherwise is either lying or wrong.

"Huh," Dean says, his eyes on Castiel. "Wasn't expecting that."

"We're forcing him to talk to you," Gabriel tells Dean. "You have no choice. Bye!" With that, he and Sam walk away, leaving the other two boys alone.