Chapter 51

"What -- what was that?" Castiel stammers when they pull apart.

"The other New Years tradition," Dean replies, and though he seems confident on the surface, Castiel can see that he's not as calm as he appears.

"The... What?" Castiel asks, too shocked to process this. "But... What? You just... And... What?"

Dean laughs softly. It's a nervous chuckle, something Castiel isn't used to seeing from him. "You know I don't like chick flick moments, but, um... You know that question I still get to ask you?"

Castiel nods slowly. "Yeah..." he replies uncertainly.

"Well, I'm going to cash that in now," Dean tells him. "Do I have any chance with you, or did I just majorly screw up?"

"Do you... What?"

Dean sighs. "Do I have to spell it out for you? I like you, Cas. As more than a friend."

"Oh, um..." What's Castiel supposed to say here? He's never felt so awkward, and that's really saying something with his social history. "Well, um, thanks, I guess? But I'm not doing... that... again, so..."

"Again?" Dean echoes, likely wondering how Castiel ever had a boyfriend. It only takes him a moment to figure it out. "No, Cas, it's not -- I'm not Crowley. I'm not like that."

"I don't know that," Castiel replies.

"Then what will it take for you to believe me?" Dean asks, sounding almost desperate now.

"I don't know."

"Anything," Dean adds. "Want me to ditch Crowley and them? I will."

"What about basketball?" Castiel asks.
"I can drop that, too."

"Don't be an idiot," Castiel replies. "You can't drop basketball. You could go pro."

"If that's what it takes —"

"Seriously, don't," Castiel repeats. "I believe you. You never would have said you'd drop the team otherwise."

Seeing the relieved expression on Dean's face makes Castiel feel a little better, but he still has one more choice to make. He still doesn't know what to do. He made himself a promise not to get close to anyone, but he's already messed that up pretty badly. But this type of thing rarely ends well for anyone, not counting the fact that Castiel is a screwup of at being social.

And yet, he still says, "And I think you do have a chance with me."

Dean smiles — an honest to god, genuinely happy smile that Castiel rarely sees from him. "Thank god," Dean breathes in relief. "I don't think you realize how stressful that was."

"Not at all," Castiel confirms. "But you do realize you're way out of my league, right?"

"No way," Dean replies.

Suddenly, there's a muffled sound coming from nearby, reminding the that they're not alone. They look over to see their friends sitting on the floor, Kevin's hand over Charlie's mouth in a failed attempt to silence her. Kevin sighs when he sees them looking and takes his hand away.

"I'm sorry guys," Charlie says. "I really am. I just — You two are so freaking cute and I —" Charlie squeals, flailing her limbs around in excitement.

"Well, since the moment's ruined already," Gabriel says, holding out a hand. "Pay up."

"What?" Sam demands. "You didn't win! It was midnight. That's New Years. They were friends until 2017."

"You're both wrong," Kevin announces. "Dean liked Castiel more than Castiel liked Dean. I win."

"They liked each other equally," Sam protests. "Castiel just didn't realize it."

"Let's just settle on 'It's complicated' and give me the money," Charlie suggests.

"But their relationship status isn't complicated!" Gabriel protests. "They're dating. End of story."

"How about nobody wins?" Anna suggests. "Or everybody wins, and there's no exchange of money?"

The four members of the bet share a look, then shrug and agree.

"I don't think that matters," Lucifer says. "Destiel! Destiel! Destiel! Destiel! Destiel!"

The other join in, leaving a flustered Castiel and an annoyed Dean to listen. Dean takes Castiel's hand and gently pulls him away with a soft, "Come on."

"Don't be too loud! And use protection!" Sam calls as they leave the room.

"Shut up!" Dean yells back.

Castiel chuckles. "Just a few days ago, we were doing the opposite."

"Oh yeah," Dean replies as he recalls the incident. "I just wanted to get away from them, by the way. I have no plans to go anywhere in particular."

Castiel beckons Dean after him. "Follow me."

He leads Dean to his old bedroom, where his stuff still hasn't be switched over to Gabriel's. He's sure he could convince Chuck to let him sleep in his old bedroom — he's not on the verge of suicide anymore — but he likes bunking with Gabriel. Castiel closes the door behind him before sitting down on his bed and gesturing to Dean to sit next to him.

"No lock, but whatever," Castiel says.

"It's fine," Dean assures him. "I wasn't planning on doing anything involving a lock anyway, if that's what you were thinking."

"No, I just mean there's a very good chance that Charlie is outside the door and she'll probably bust in here pretty soon," Castiel replies.

"Oh, true," Dean agrees. "Hey, Cas, can I be totally honest with you?"

Castiel nods. "Yeah, of course."

"I give you a two, max."

Castiel cocks his head in confusion. "I'm sorry?"

"Your kissing really needs work," Dean adds. "I'm talking lots of practice, stat."

Castiel laughs softly. "Would you mind being my mentor?"

Dean grins. "Not at all."

And as they kiss, they pretend not to notice Charlie on the other side of the door, peeking underneath for a look.