Chapter 48

Castiel doesn't go far. Last time he walked out like this, after he got home from the hospital, he was trying to run away. This isn't like that. Instead, he stops at the end of the street, just barely out of sight of the house. He sits down on the curb, hugging his legs to his chest and burying his head in his knees.

He hears the approaching footsteps before he sees anyone come. He doesn't have to look up to know it's Gabriel. That must have been as annoying to him as it was to Castiel, and he would never leave Castiel alone anyway. Out of the corner of his eye, Castiel sees Gabriel sit down next to him.

"Well," Gabriel says after a moment of silence. "That was... That was something, huh?" He tries for lightness, but it doesn't work.

Ordinarily, Castiel would tell him to go away, but right now, he doesn't really want to be alone. He doesn't want to talk, either, but he doesn't mind having his brother sitting here with him.

"Dad and Aunt Amara should have seen this coming when they told Raphael to sit with us," Gabriel adds. "I mean, it's not exactly the most unexpected thing ever."

Castiel has to agree with that. It was a stupid move on their part.

"On the bright side," Gabriel continues, "Raphael is probably getting yelled at right now."

That's probably true, but Castiel doesn't care whether he gets in trouble or not. He's used to people picking on him for being gay. Usually, it's not a religious thing, but it's the same thing to Castiel. No one else gets in trouble for it. Why should Raphael?

"I wish we could go hang with the Winchesters," Gabriel tells him. "But it's Christmas, so probably not. Hey, what do you think of Adam? Cuz I think he has the potential to be super cool. And he and Samandriel seemed to hit it off while you were hiding out with Dean. Maybe we'll be seeing them around even more now. Oh, did you know that Sam is a freshman? I thought he was your age. Okay, I'm just sorta talking right now and hoping you'll say something. Is there a chance that you'll have an actual conversation with me? Or do you want me to leave?"

Castiel shrugs. He doesn't really want Gabriel to leave, but he also doesn't feel like talking and doesn't want to bore Gabriel.

"Then I'm just gonna go," Gabriel tells him. "Um... Well, we'll be waiting for you to come back. Bye."

Castiel waits for Gabriel to disappear from sight before burying his head in his arms again. He doesn't cry — this isn't worth his tears. He just doesn't want to have to deal with the outside world right now.

A few minutes later, he sees someone else sit next to him out of the corner of his eye. Puzzled as to who would sit with him, he looks over at the person next to him. It's Lucifer.

"Heya, Castiel," he says with a grin.

"What are you...?" Castiel asks, confused.

"I'm keeping you company," Lucifer replies.

"I thought we were passed that 'You can't be alone' thing."

"That's not what I'm doing here," Lucifer replies. "I mean, if you want to be alone, I'll go. Just say the word."

"No, that's not it," Castiel says quickly. "I just mean... Well, if you're out here because you think you have to be, you don't. I'm not going to do anything stupid."

"I didn't think you were," Lucifer replies. "I just don't want to leave you alone."

"Oh."

After a brief pause, Lucifer asks, "So, you wanna talk, or...?"

"About what?"

"I don't know," Lucifer replies. "Something not Destiel related, because I know you hate that."

"It's about time you realized that."
"Oh, I've always known. I just didn't care. But I'll be nice to you for now."

"Great, thanks," Castiel says sarcastically.

"No problemo," Lucifer replies. "So, how's school? And more than a one word answer because that doesn't help."

Castiel chuckles softly. "Um... It's actually going pretty well. I get to hang out with Charlie and Kevin and Garth and Sam and Gabriel, so it's fine."

"You have a lot of friends," Lucifer observes. "Maybe it's just cuz you listed them out like that, but still. Good for you, Castiel. And no more broken bones, I see."

Castiel nods. "Yep. Dean convinced his friends to lay off me for a while." Of course, now that he's out of his casts and wheelchair, that's going to change.

"I still can't believe that was his friends," Lucifer says. "I mean, how can he be friends with people like that?"
Castiel shrugs. "Well, they are the popular kids. Plus, they're on his football team. Actually, I think it's basketball now, but whatever. It's a lot harder to play when your teammates hate you. Sam's proof of that."

"But, see, Sam was smart enough not to do sports with them anymore," Lucifer reminds him. It's true; he doesn't do extracurriculars anymore, which gives him more time to hang out with Gabriel.

"Dean likes sports too much to stop," Castiel replies.

"But come on. After what they did to you, it's still worth hanging out with 'em all the time?"

"Well, they're friends," Castiel says, though it feels strange to. He has to keep reminding himself that he's defending Dean, not the people who make school hell for him. "Besides, I'd hate to be the reason he stopped playing sports."

"Well, you should be," Lucifer replies. "Because you're freaking awesome and totally worth it."

"Thanks," Castiel mumbles. He's always been awkward accepting compliments.

"You know what's sad is that it's Christmas, the day for family, and we're currently hiding from our family," Lucifer observes.

Castiel chuckles. "I didn't think about it that way."

"But you've got it pretty good," Lucifer adds. "You're sitting here with your absolute favorite brother ever!"

"Yeah, totally," Castiel replies with joking sarcasm. He could never pick a favorite brother.

"I'm going to pretend that was sincere," Lucifer says.

"You do that. You'd be wrong, but hey, you're used to it, right?"

Lucifer laughs. "Damn, sassy Cassy!"

"It's a gift," Castiel replies with a grin. He knows he doesn't have to clarify that he's joking; Lucifer just knows. It's one of the things Castiel loves about him. But what isn't to love about Lucifer?