Chapter 12

Castiel is awake when Dean's phone vibrates, his alarm telling him to wake up now. Dean shuts it off and looks over at Castiel, but the boy pretends he's asleep so he doesn't have to talk. With his eyes closed, he can't see the grin Dean wears when he sees the boy lying there, but if he could, he would have seen it was a completely genuine smile.

Dean quickly scribbles a note before he leaves, and Castiel opens his eyes to read it as soon as he hears the footsteps leave. He picks up the small piece of paper.

Went to school. See you soon.
-D.W.

Castiel smiles in spite of himself and puts the paper down. He feels around for the guitar pick, then remembers it's still early, and instead positions his finger over the strings. Once again, he plays something random, this time not a repeat of a song he already knows. He closes his eyes, completely oblivious to the people listening in from other rooms. There are patients and their families, and nurses as well that just can't help themselves from enjoying it. And, though Castiel doesn't know it, he's just made the day of many people here.

~~

"You awake?" a whisper comes later that day.

Castiel looks to the doorway to see Dean standing there. Castiel looks around for Sam and Gabriel. Why wouldn't they be here, too?

"I'll take that as a yes," Dean says, walking in and sitting next to Castiel.

"Do you want this back now?" Castiel asks, looking down at the guitar.

"No, you can keep it for now," Dean offers. "I figure you need the escape more than me."

Castiel doesn't have to question what the escape is. He's just surprised Dean feels it, too. Castiel always thought it was just him being strange, that the feeling of freedom he gets when he plays is a sensation only he knows.

Castiel gives Dean a small smile before looks down at the guitar, attempting to play while lying down like this. Sure, he's not flat on the bed; thanks to the adjustments, he's sitting about somewhere between lying flat and sitting up. Still, it's hard to play like that. He manages to do it anyway, once again just combining chords and not playing anything in particular.

Somewhere in the middle of his random strumming, he starts playing "Carry on my Wayward Son." He didn't realize he still remembered how. It's been a while since he has; Thursday, maybe? Six days. That's a long time to remember something like this.

"Damn, Cas," Sam says in approval as he and Gabriel finally show up a few minutes later. "You're good."

Castiel awkwardly looks at the bed to avoid meeting the boys' gaze.

"Come on, guys! Work on your timing!" Dean complains. "That was my favorite part."

"Wait, was that an actual song?" Gabriel asks.

"'Carry on my Wayward Son,'" Dean replies.

"Right, of course. Because Kansas is apparently cool now." Gabriel rolls his eyes at his brother's taste in music.

"Rock is the best, so shut it," Dean
replies.

"Yeah, sure it is," Gabriel says sarcastically.

"I've got to side with Gabriel here," Sam admits.

"Of course you do," Dean mutters. "Thanks, Sammy. Really loving how supportive you are."

"Well, I'm sure Castiel is on your side, so it's still fair," Gabriel says. "Both our brothers are traitors!"

Castiel lets them continue to bicker as he begins trying to recall "Dust in the Wind." Was it... No, that's later in the song. How did it start? Oh well, screw it. "Wanted, Dead or Alive" it is.

"It's all the same. Only the names have changed. Every day, it seems we're wasting away," Dean sings along with a grin. Castiel glances up at him, and Dean just shrugs. They finish the song together, and Castiel smiles slightly.

"That was beautiful," Gabriel says, wiping a fake tear from his eye. His lack of sincerity is clear, but neither Dean nor Castiel care.

This is how Castiel's life goes for a few days. Dean stays overnight, his family and Sam coming when they can. Castiel doesn't talk much, but he has his music, and that's all he needs. But that changes on Friday.

It's about five o'clock when one of the nurses comes in. Tessa again. She doesn't say anything at first, just stands in the doorway quietly. Castiel doesn't notice her, too busy playing House of the Rising Sun to realize she's listening. When he finishes, Gabriel starts clapping in exaggerated applause, and Castiel finally looks over there.

Tessa smiles. "Hey, Castiel."

Castiel gives her a small smile in return, but it's forced, as it is when he sees most people.

"Just wanted to let you know that you can leave tomorrow," Tessa tells him. "We want to keep you overnight, but after that, you're clear."

Castiel nods so she knows he heard her, and she leaves.

"You hear that, Castiel?" Anna asks excitedly. "Freedom!"

But as soon as Tessa left, Castiel's smile fell. He doesn't want to leave. He doesn't want to have to go back to school. He would much rather stay in the safety of the hospital. Sure, he's alone for about eight hours every day, but he's no stranger to loneliness. He'd prefer it to being bullied, at least.

"What's wrong?" Chuck asks, noticing his frown. "You're leaving. You should be happy."

Castiel wishes he could lie on his side, not facing them, and curl up into a little call to cry, but his IV in his wrist would make that hard. Instead, he settles for just turning his head away, fighting back tears that threaten to spill. It may seem strange to want to cry about this, but it's Castiel's response to tough situations. He can't do anything but cry.

"Is that not a good thing?" Samandriel asks.

Castiel doesn't answer.

"Dammit, Castiel, stop being so cryptic and confusing and stuff!" Gabriel whines.

Silence.

"Are you ever going to talk to us?" Anna asks.

Silence.

"Please talk to us?" Michael says, more a question than command.

"Bringing out the big guns," Lucifer announces. "Talk to us or I'll start reciting the entire Bee Movie script."

"Oh god, no," Michael groans.

"Help us," Gabriel stage whispers to Castiel.

"What's the Bee Movie?" Chuck asks.

"Well, Dad, I'm glad you asked," Lucifer replies with a grin. "'According to all known laws of aviation...'"