Chapter 47

Opening presents the next day is a challenge. It always is. They go from youngest to oldest, one present at a time, and it takes hours, as always. Hannah, Ambriel, Hael, Anna, Samandriel, Balthazar, Castiel, Gabriel, Raphael, Lucifer, Michael, Metatron, Uriel, Zachariah, Amara, and then Chuck.

Needless to say, the youngest aren't very fond of the long waits. Thankfully, Gabriel comes to the rescue once again, this time with candy. Obviously, giving them sugar is not the best idea, but it gets them to stop complaining as much, so no one tells him to stop.

"Well, merry Christmas, everyone," Chuck says once the present giving is finally over.

"Merry Christmas," everyone replies in unison.

"So, lunch?" Amara proposes.

Everyone agrees, some much more enthusiastic than others. Lucifer, for example, jumps up immediately with energy like a child's. Hael, on the other hand, shrugs and accepts without any enthusiasm.

"I call sitting next to you," Gabriel tells Castiel.

"Sure," Castiel replies.

The seating is always a struggle; there are sixteen of them, and only six people can sit at each table. Naturally, the girls all flock to one table. Conveniently, they're the four youngest, so logically, the next table is the other younger kids. Samandriel, Balthazar, Castiel, and Gabriel. That leaves two spots open, and two too many at the adult table.

"I'll sit at the kids' table," Lucifer volunteers eagerly, taking a seat with them.

"Ahem, this is the young adult table," Samandriel corrects him. "That is the kids' table." He points to the smaller table the girls are sitting at.

"Ah, who cares about political correctness?" Lucifer replies, waving a dismissive hand.

"Raphael, you're the next youngest," Amara reminds him. "You can go sit at the kids' — or 'young adult' — table."

"What? But I'm an adult!" Raphael protests. "Why do I have to sit with the kids?"

"Because your mother told you to," Chuck replies.

"But that's not fair. Why can't Michael sit there? He's only a couple weeks older."

"And I wear those 18 days like a badge," Michael replies.

"Bye, Felicia," Metatron adds.

"Who is Felicia?" Raphael asks.

"It's a reference to... You know what? Never mind."

"What is that a reference to?" Balthazar asks softly.

"No clue," Samandriel replies.

"I'm in Raphael's boat with this one," Castiel adds.

"You've never heard 'bye Felicia'?" Balthazar says in surprise. "It was all over Twitter not too long ago."

"I don't have Twitter," Castiel replies.

"Well, make one."

"That's what me and Charlie said!" Gabriel announces to the table.

"Not happening."

"All the cool people have Twitter," Lucifer tells him.

"Huh. Guess that explains my social status, then."

"I think you're cool," Balthazar offers.

"Then you're wrong."

"You could be cool if you got Twitter," Lucifer whispers loudly.