Chapter 18

As soon as they get inside, Castiel heads to his room, but Chuck clears his throat and stops the boy. Castiel rolls his eyes, remembering the stupid new rules, and lets his father lead him to the living room. Chuck sits down on the couch, and though there's enough room for at least two more people, Castiel sits on the floor instead.

"Wanna watch tv?" Chuck asks.

"No."

"Okay, want to play board games?" Chuck asks.

"Like a five year old? No thanks."

Chuck sighs. "Look, I don't know what's up with your attitude lately, but it needs to stop."

"Yeah, tried that. It didn't work. Now I've just got some fucked up arms and way more rules."

"Castiel-" Chuck begins, but then pauses. He takes a deep breath, and, in a softer voice, continues, "I'm doing what's necessary to keep you around. I don't want anything to happen to you. You'll thank me later."

Castiel scoffs. "Thank you? Why would I thank you? My life has been pretty sucky for a long time, but this is rock bottom. No, coming to high school was rock bottom, and I've been slowly mining through the rock as high school progressed until I feel into a cave a mile deep, okay? That's where I am now because of you."

"I know it seems bad, but it's not," Chuck says. "One day, you'll look back on this and wonder why you ever thought high school was that bad. It happens to everyone."

"You don't know what I've been through," Castiel snaps. "You are in no position to judge what my life is like."

"Then why don't you tell me?" Chuck suggests. "Tell me what's happened to you that's made your life so horrible."

Castiel sighs and closes his eyes. "If I wanted a therapist, I'd ask."

"Well, maybe you don't want one, but maybe you need one," Chuck replies, undeterred by his brush off. "I feel like you and I never talk. Let's just talk."

"Wake me up when Michael gets home," Castiel says instead. Michael can watch after him and leave him alone at the same time.

"Castiel —"

Castiel stops listening, drifting off into his own little dreamland.

~~

Castiel is woken up by the sound of footsteps by his head. When did he lie down? And there's a blanket on him. And a pillow... It's sort of unnerving.

He opens his eyes just a little bit to see what's going on. So, Michael isn't here, but Lucifer is. Well, that's better than Chuck, who's leaving now. At least Lucifer, while being very annoying, will leave any serious subjects behind them.

"I know you're awake," Lucifer says quietly. Castiel doesn't respond. "If you're trying to hide from Dad, he just left the room. Wanna watch some Sherlock with me?"

Castiel hesitates, then stands up and walks over to the couch and sits as far from Lucifer as possible. Lucifer grins and puts an arm around Castiel, causing the boy to flinch.

"Calm yourself," Lucifer laughs. "I'm just using you as an arm rest."

Castiel gives him a questioning look but doesn't ask. Lucifer uses his free arm to open Netflix on the tv and start the third episode of Sherlock. Partway through, Castiel feels himself drifting away, wanting to fall asleep again.

Without thinking, he cuddles up against Lucifer like he used to do when he was younger, closing his eyes. He can't see the smile on his brother's face when Castiel does this. It's almost like old times, back when their biggest problem was figuring out multiplication and division and life was just better.